Michael569

Your Favourite Pre And Post Workout Meals ?

11 posts in this topic

I mean actual meals please, no synthetic or bottled stuff :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Most of the time I workout 16 hours fasted, but I do consume an intra-workout protein shake. If I do eat something prior, I usually have a teaspoon of MCT oil or a boiled egg. On the ketogenic diet, it doesn't matter what I eat as I can still train almost as hard as not having had anything at all.

For post-workout, I eat eggs, veggies, avocado, meat. Something like that mixed together, no real recipes. Again, on keto you're less dependent of insulin and carbs to promote muscle growth.

If I weren't on the ketogenic diet, I would still workout fasted and have an intra-workout shake, or an egg. Keeping insulin and blood sugar low before working out will create a greater anabolic response afterwards. For post-workout, I would eat a ton of starchy carbs like potatoes, rice or quinoa, some lean protein, like chicken or fish and little to no fat, maybe some cottage cheese.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

When training to build i usually have a smoothie first thing afterwards all natural with soy/nut milk, plant protein powder(optional), flax, chia or hemp seeds as source of healthy fats, tsp of spirulina or other supergreens, banana, berries of choice, some cacao powder and maca and maybe coconut water. I also add brewers yeast sometimes for extra B vitamins and chromium. Can add favorite herbs too usually a capsule or two.

You can play around with it however you want and find what works for you, add more or less.

Sometimes i make raw oats or millet soak em with 2 tablespoons of flaxeeds or chia, then i either add a scoop of protein depends on how i feel or i just leave it like that and add more whole foods/fruits, berries, bananas, coconut meat, liquid of choice, apples you get creative as you make more often.

I'm mostly raw vegan lately but i would love to have homemade beans with vegetables and sometimes brown or wild rice and or massive salads with lentils, nuts and seeds for extra protein and good fats and other times sweet potato's, with peanut butter or avocado dressing with sprinkled pumpkin and sunflower seeds ect..sometimes whole grains you find as you seek.

As for pre-workout you can either do herbal stimulants/teas, matcha, cacao, yerba mate, coffee if your more intermittent fasting if not then having a decent meal like any above or just fruits maybe 1 hour before will be good. I usually don't eat before noon but if i do its always fruits they give me the cleanest energy.

For emergency when im just feeling super low and need to train if nothing else works is when i'll have a dark shot of organic coffee or something but this is rare for me most of the time i have enough energy from the clean food i consume on a daily.

B R E A T H E

After a workout your body needs sugar and protein.  After a 20 mile run I eat ice cream which satisfies both requirements.

@drivel The sugar in ice cream isn't optimal for post-workout glycogen re-synthesis. Plus there's quite a lot of fat in it and not much protein. If you want to recover faster on a carbohydrate diet, then you'd want something fast digesting, like an extra ripe banana, protein powder or starchy carbs.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

21 hours ago, Siim Land said:

@drivel The sugar in ice cream isn't optimal for post-workout glycogen re-synthesis. Plus there's quite a lot of fat in it and not much protein. If you want to recover faster on a carbohydrate diet, then you'd want something fast digesting, like an extra ripe banana, protein powder or starchy carbs.

So its better to leave healthy fats for afterwards? I usually have hemp and flax or chia seeds with my post shake so its more complete recovery i assumed.

B R E A T H E

On 7/8/2017 at 8:57 AM, Siim Land said:

The optimal fuel during and after a workout is pure sugar.  Anything else is suboptimal.

If you are trying to replace burned calories after a 20 mile run, fat is one of the best sources of calories.   After a 20 mile run you will not be hungry for, or able to eat a big starchy meal.

Ice cream is a great food for after a 20 mile run.

Edited by drivel

The other day i took a capsule of cordyceps mushroom, 1 tablet of blue spirulina and half a teaspoon of royal jelly and i really felt clean yet balanced burst of energy and i was able to push my training session from start to finish with the same frequency. He shou wu may and shilajit also have gave me some great results.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I'll eat pretty much the same type of meals for both. I like to eat salmon/chicken, mixed vegetables, fruit, and wheat bread! 

www.hersandhislove.com

Before: I have smoothie: sliced strawberry, melon and banana + cup of Greek yogurt, some granola for a thicker consistency and 10-20 grams of protein for better exercising. PS I always have a special bottle for smoothie, ordered a few bottles on https://allinpackaging.co.uk/containers/bottle/ , they are also good to make a protein shake.

After: Salmon with sweet potato. Salmon has bioactive peptides, small protein molecules that play a role in inflammation reduction, helping to regulate insulin levels and give you joint support. Sweet potatoes pack in those complex carbs as well as help to restore glycogen levels