Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abundance

Meditation And Nostalgia Of Past Life/early Childhood

6 posts in this topic

I have always had sudden and rather spontaneous moments of nostalgia. These instances usually occur when I am in a contemplative or insightful mood. However,  with my meditation practice I am noticing that they are occuring a lot more frequently, perhaps once or twice a day.

The odd thing about these moments of temporary nostalgia is that I can almost never associate with them with a mental image or direct past experience. It is more of an intuition/feeling and not of anything that I can recollect or remember via any of the 5 senses. At times I recognize through intuition that the feelings may be from experiences in my early childhood or from a distant past that cannot be pinpointed.

Has anyone had similar experiences and is there a label for this phenomena ?

Since I've been meditating, I've had a lot of mental images/phenomena & emotions rising up.

I know it's an emotion from the past because I can feel it and it feels from some time ago, or long ago. Usually, if I focus on the emotion I can see thoughts popping out related to an event (or a chunk of my life) that triggered the emotion (or where I felt it strongly).

It's normal. Check Leo's video on The Dark Side Of Meditation.

All... literally ALL your shit will come about sooner than you think

Edited by Afonso

9 minutes ago, Pinocchio NTO-Dingu said:

Art Ticknor talks about nostalgia sometimes, see youtube and google.

It's the deep longing for wholeness, which we experienced as a child but which we seem to have lost at some point growing up. Hence nostalgia, and hence why it's nonspecific.

That's the spiritual search in a nutshell. You couldn't be searching for something that you've never known.

Thanks for your response. I will certainly look him up. The nostalgia has a very real sense of familiarity to it. Looking back I have always had these occurences, even when I was young but was never fully aware of what was going on. 

15 minutes ago, Afonso said:

Since I've been meditating, I've had a lot of mental images/phenomena & emotions rising up.

I know it's an emotion from the past because I can feel it and it feels from some time ago, or long ago. Usually, if I focus on the emotion I can see thoughts popping out related to an event (or a chunk of my life) that triggered the emotion (or where I felt it strongly).

It's normal. Check Leo's video on The Dark Side Of Meditation.

All... literally ALL your shit will come about sooner than you think

Describing it as an emotion is a far more concise description. Based on your post it sounds like you have the exact same experiences.

For me the emotions/feeling do not always trigger a sense of sadness. There are times when it produces a great euphoria from either an experience in childhood or from a distant past. Or it could be me yearning to reconnect with the source/oneness.

4 minutes ago, abundance said:

Describing it as an emotion is a far more concise description. Based on your post it sounds like you have the exact same experiences.

For me the emotions/feeling do not always trigger a sense of sadness. There are times when it produces a great euphoria from either an experience in childhood or from a distant past. Or it could be me yearning to reconnect with the source/oneness.

All kinds of emotions. And the emotions are not like SAD, HAPPY, ANGRY. They're more like a feeling of some experience in the past. They can have all sorts of inherent properties to them.

Edited by Afonso

12 minutes ago, Snick said:

Nostalgia is the most pathetic thing I know! 

People tend to do it with such dignity and proudness. Including me! 

Now that's disgusting! 

Agreed!