Dan Arnautu

Readers Vs Non-readers - Genetic Trait, Laziness Or Limiting Belief?

9 posts in this topic

It's very odd when I hear some people that they are not readers. They are ”doers”. Well, everyone else also learns by doing. I learn by doing, but I also read books, watch lectures and listen to audiobooks. For me it's kind of like hearing "Walking is not for me. I tried it. I don't like it and it doesn't work for me. I'm gonna find another way to go about."

What are your thoughts on this? Are there people out there that just don receive information well through reading? What's the catch?

It's all the same to me. And considering that reading and writing are human constructs, I don't think that there is a gene that makes you a ”reader” or not. I hated books until 1 year ago and that was because I didn't give myself enough time to adjust and didn't read good books.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu 

Books are tools that either try and explain, implement or challenge your sense of reality.

The non reader will say and often believe books are worthless. Because new information question your belief system. If it seems contradictive, they'll become lazy, defensive or scared. Nothing too complicated there.

The seeker, the reader so do speak, will become tolerant to the idea he needs learning, reinforcing and theorical database, dealing with different opnions and so forth. Because there are lots of benefits from it, professionaly, psychologicly, artistcly or spiritualy.

But you can't ride that bike until you've tried it a few times.

Edited by Dantas

The ideas and concepts are ingredients and spices as we cook up the paradigms of our minds.

Some just choose to use cook books.

@Dantas Yea but they still consume information through other channels. What gives? What makes them think reading is not for them if they still consume things like documentaries, video courses, blog posts etc?

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu

Fear, laziness, complacency, rationalizations. Emotional reactions to try and avoid reading.

Take someone who plays nearly six hours of video-game a day. They can't bring themselves to read without being in pain. They're over stimulated.

Many people can't concentrate on books because they're hooked to Facebook, Tv, socialization and so on and so forth. Watch out for people making up justifications for not reading because they can't concentrate. It's like asking someone to meditate, really.

Advanced readers know it's largely entertaining and productive habit. Someone who's not accostumed will think it's really borning before they've got a handle on it.

Look, reading is essential, you can’t skip it. Many successful people have a reading habit, they allocate time to read. If your friends avoid books, I don’t know. Everybody should mind their own business. Try to find people who read books. Besides, some illiterates can be rich, in a good position with other talents or chance.

Meanwhile, reading is very passive, it is easy. Doing, on the other hand, is very active and needs courage, action. So also be careful. You need to go out, go to real life; instead of sitting at your house and reading books.

I think it's about equally easy to distract yourself with books as is with anything else. Information (books an otherwise) can also become a serious addiction and a distraction.

It's just practice and habit.

If you have never read and spent most of your time doing physical activities when you were a child, you're more prone to abhor intellectual activities such as reading. And the inverse works as well.

Edited by Afonso