dekoi

Can't Figure Out What I Find Important

8 posts in this topic

One of the things one must do to figure out life purpose is knowing what values one holds highly. I can't figure it out. If someone was to ask me "what do you like?" or "what do you find important" I would have no idea how to respond. I don't even know if it's that I can't feel or if I simply don't care about life. I've been stuck on this for months now. It's highly annoying me.

2 hours ago, Brivido said:

What would you be doing if money and time were not a problem? What would you do with your life if all your needs were met forever? Will you be spending your time writing articles about animals? Will you be spending your time making short movies about nature? Here it is a great article by Mark Manson about finding your passion.

I've asked myself that quite often and I couldn't really find an answer. I was always bored as a kid as well. I was never drawn to anything. I've always needed someone to tell me what to do.

The article you linked seems to presume that people have this natural tendency to do the things they like, which is of course nonsense.

Edited by dekoi

Take your time and go to do a lot of different activities

11 minutes ago, barry said:

Take your time and go to do a lot of different activities

I'm too scared to. I have this weird fear of failure where I don't wanna do anything new unless it's on impulse or something I know I'll enjoy. It's one of the big reasons I'm unemployed. It's also one of the reasons I started going to therapy.

Edited by dekoi

I have fear of failure too. I've realized that there are 2 reasons why I feel that. One is the inability (or feeling of inability) to learn something or do something. Second is the low self-esteem or low confidence that prevents me from doing / learning it. I  keep telling myself that I can't do it...and obviously I cannot do it as long as I keep saying that to myself..duh! 

So my first step was to really understand my fear of failure...I realized its another of those tricks of my mind to put me at comfort with the idea and stop me from moving forward...coz moving forward meant change, risk, disappointment and sure our innate nature is to protect ourselves from that...

So I guess its time to identify the tricks of your mind and start negotiating with it :) 

@Shilpa @dekoi try to push through the dip guys. Once I used to struggle with the same issue, the solution I found was to expand my comfort zone in different directions with the pace and intensity I thought I could handle, try to go to do simple things, try to see motivation in small results you get. 
Let's say "I am going to do X today", you do X, and after you do it you have to look at what you have "accomplished" and feel greatful for stepping your first step of the hero's journey! This way you will get motivated by the small results that you see everyday in your life and you will want more!

On 2017-6-5 at 8:58 AM, barry said:

@Shilpa @dekoi try to push through the dip guys. Once I used to struggle with the same issue, the solution I found was to expand my comfort zone in different directions with the pace and intensity I thought I could handle, try to go to do simple things, try to see motivation in small results you get. 
Let's say "I am going to do X today", you do X, and after you do it you have to look at what you have "accomplished" and feel greatful for stepping your first step of the hero's journey! This way you will get motivated by the small results that you see everyday in your life and you will want more!

It's not a dip. It's been like this all my life. The stuff I've tried to do is just exhausting. Not rewarding or fulfilling by any stretch of the imagination unfortunately. I've always had something to keep me busy. First it was mom way back when. Then came TV and video games. Being proactive has never been in me.

Edited by dekoi