Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JKG

Input For Life Purpose - Computer Science, Maths, Electrical Enginnering, Ai, Etc.

3 posts in this topic

Hello there. I need some input for my life purpose. Especially from people who have some experience in the fields of computer science, artificial intelligence, engineering, maths, or any other technical stuff. But I appreciate all input from anyone. And thanks in advance.

My situation: In about a month I have to apply for university. I am already pretty sure that I will major in computer science (CS). But I am not sure about my minor. It will either be maths, or electrical engineering (EE) . I am not sure at all.

Thoughts about EE: I have been getting a lot of advice from my father, who has a very well payed job in the field of EE. So I am pretty biased by him. His arguments are based on his experience in the company that he is working at. (the company is very successful and makes a lot of money) The main argument is that his company would hire people with a CS major and EE minor because they have a background knowledge in EE. And without EE I would never get into such well payed positions. It would be very hard to get into good positions with maths.
I don't have much experience with EE myself. I just have worked on one project in school in that field, and I didn't like it.

Thoughts about maths: I have loved maths in high school and am good at it. I have a better feeling about maths and am probably more passionate about it. But I have the doubt that I could not enjoy this higher maths. My father always says that its too abstract, too complicated, and that you don't need it to be successful. If i minor in maths I will have classes like analysis 1, analysis 2, linear algebra 1, and another one that I could chose. I have concerns here that its too hard for me and that it will take much more time to study than EE.

Life purpose: My current life purpose statement is "I develop and implement solution processes to create technology that advances human consciousness."

Life purpose and maths: Up until now I have thought about creating some technology with artificial intelligence. I have got some huge visions that I could create algorithms that could somehow grasp existential truths or something like that. I have done a little bit of research there and have found out that advanced maths skills are needed. Therefore I considered a minor in maths as useful.

Life purpose and EE: But in the last few days I have been biased a lot from the arguments of my father. So I have been thinking about how EE could be useful in my life purpose. I came up with some ideas. I could develop better devices and software for something like neurofeedback training. Or I could combine this technology with other technologies like holosync so that they become even more powerful. Or I could make such technologies obtainable for average people, so that a bigger part of the population can use technologies that advance their consciousness in some way - maybe by making them cheaper, more attractive, or effective. And ultimately creating a magic pill for advancing consciousness.
What are your thoughts about such an idea?

Do you have other ideas for a life purpose where you create technology that advances consciousness in one way? Maybe even in other fields?

In the long run I want to be in a position where I can directly work on my life purpose, either by having a own company that produces these technologies, or by working in a company that is directly related to my life purpose and where I can contribute a lot. But I will probably not reach this position right after graduating from university. I will probably have to work in a few other jobs first and gain more experience.

My father could say a lot about EE jobs, but not much about other computer science jobs or other jobs with a bit of maths. Does somebody know the relevance of maths in the mentioned fields? And how can I know whether I will enjoy the advanced maths taught in university? 

I am kind of scared about going against the grain and taking maths and not EE. My father plays there a huge role. He just wants it that I get into a safe position later in life. I just don't want to make the wrong decision just by listening to his advice and not following my passion. Does somebody has advice for overcoming his tendency? Could I teach myself all the relevant advanced math that I would need later?

How can I know what I will like more in university? I don't have experience in EE nor in maths on a university level. Both could be useful for my life purpose. I kind of have the feeling that maths will be the better choice. But I don't know where this feeling comes from. Maybe just because I have been thinking more about this.

And is it even relevant which minor I chose? Because it will make up only about 15 to 20 percent of my degree.

Well, I hope I could explain my problem. And again I appreciate any input.

@JKG Just a note, 

Notice that the decision if you go with what your father tells you vs doing math is not only about the situation and about the one decision, it has bigger context.

Also it might easily happen that you need both skills and the decision is more of, what you want to learn in school and what alone.

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

Being up to date with EE will keep you closer to the physical side of things. It's a great way to get into the engineering field and have a chance to work on things you can touch. 

Going with Maths is a more academic approach, that's why jobs in industry don't search so much for this skill. For them it's more important to have EE than maths most of the time, besides I'm sure you can into more depth on that after your bachelors. If you see yourself more as a scientist type, maths is probability a good way to go.

In reality both are ok options and neither will force you on a certain path. You also have an msc and phd for continuity through which you can mingle the two as you discover more.

Personally I would always choose things with engineering in their title since it's usually closer to the practical side of things. For me that's important. If you see yourself more as the tip of the lance, making discoveries and so on, a more academic approach may be better. 

Keep in mind that if you go with the more academic approach you should definately continue studies after the bcs. There's no point in going with maths if you plan to stop there.

Good luck!

Edited by AndreiC