Max_V

First Book Recommendation

7 posts in this topic

I keep wondering when I meet someone who asks me what I'm doing and why, etc. Which book to advice that will get them hooked into personal development and start taking steps.

It obviously depends on the person and what problems they encounter in life,  but still there must be a fundamental book that I can advice.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

There is no fundamental book for everyone. Believing that there is is just delusional. Even the likelyhood that someone will ask you why you are interested in personal development is highly unlikely. And for them to be open minded to your advice, well... you need to really be lucky to find such an individual. But if you do, start asking them questions about their life. What do you want? What area of your life do you want to improve? Help them reveal answer such questions for themselves. Then you can subtlely mention a book or source that maybe helped one of your friends to make it seem more casual. It's better than saying it helped you because it just creates a more casual dynamic in the interaction and they are probably more likely to listen to your advice. 

But in general, people are lazy, stubborn and closed-minded. Save yourself and do not worry too much about other people. Let them wonder how you get such amazing results in your life and only offer advice if they seek it ;) 

I would argue there is a fundamental book for everyone, and it's actually the shortest one, which I think would help a newbie tremendously. That book is Managing Oneself by Peter Drucker. This book is all about self awareness and how to get a sense of direction in life. Very good first read in my opinion. It can be finished in less than an hour.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu Thanks, haven't even read that one yet hehe. Great suggestion!

@Christian Ye when I was typing I was already realizing that everyone has different problems. I still want to help others though, I know how it feels to be in a dark place and not know where to go. Don't want others to experience the same

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

3 great ones for the novice.  These helped me, so I am giving what I actually used and benefitted from.

Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins

Success is a Choice by Rick Pitino

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by William Covey

Emotional intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Man's search for Meaning by V. Emil Frankl

@Joseph Maynor The 7 Habits is pretty rough for a beginner imo

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard