gleb

Attention Span Regeneration Tips

3 posts in this topic

What's poppin' my friends

I remember back when I was 12 or so I could sit and read a book for nearly the entire day with little hiccup in my ability to focus. 

Now I'm 20 and am growing up in an age where novelty information junk food is so prevalent and it seems I've been dragged away by it. I lose interest in things far too quickly for my liking. 

I watch about 60 seconds of a video before my mind starts looking for new stimuli. I have to read in 20 minute intervals or I'll start daydreaming heavily. Focusing in class requires oodles of will power.

I've seen Leo's video on concentration but I'm not sure if that practice is addressing the same issue. In my understanding, focusing unwaveringly on a single point is different than interacting with a single subject for a long period of time.

Do any of you lovely folk have any tips on how to start reversing this issue? Also, can somebody clarify if that  specific practice will help with staying on task with a subject? I realize this will take years but I know will be worth it. 

Additional info: I have a young meditation habit, I eat 75% healthy and exercise semi-regularly. I use a smartphone and watch YouTube videos and meme around just about everyday.

Thanks in advance.

I am struggling with this too, but i think the best cure is to just do as you did when you were younger. Try to read a few books now and then, turn the phone off and just limit your external stimulation. Your brain is constantly changing so it'll probably get better depending on how you use it.

@gleb I'd agree with @AxelK that this is most likely an outcome of the environment of technology at your beck-and-call. Something that has helped me with this issue is completely cleaning out my use of the Internet and of technology in general. No mindless scrolling or viewing - I use YouTube intentionally, for guides and videos that will allow me to prosper and develop myself, and I pretty much never watch TV/films unless it'll be worth my time or is extremely transformative. And when I do - nothing is on the side, just focused watching with a journal nearby for notes and thoughts. 

This is how I've come around to increase my overall sustainability within a moment and my interaction with some form of media. It's helped me in other areas, and of course, minimizing these distractions while attempting to read or focus in school may help immensely. You've just got to get yourself used to not being able to be stimulated all the time. So when you do, you can truly focus on it. 

Just my immediate thoughts on the situation, I'd say you're on the right path, minimilizing your life could do you some great justice. Here's Leo's video on that: 

Good luck!