bluesky

Technology Society Vs Ancient Society

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I thought it would be interesting topic. Today, we live in technology based society (oil industry, electric power, internet, mobile phone, transport ect.) Great, practical things to function in this world. In ancient societies, like India, people were living more agriculure life, but the philosophy, going for spiritual journey in my opinion, is far better then todays.

I think about it like this: 
You gotta keep in mind that, although we have all very well-written philosophy from ancient times in our hands, the majority of the population at that time couldn't read or write. The people who had such insights were very rare and most of the time very wealthy, being able to learn all that knowledge and having all that time in their hands, not having to work. If you look at the great philosophers (Aristotle, Plato, Marcus Aurelius, Buddha, Lao Tsu, Confucius) each of these individuals was born into a pretty wealthy family, otherwise, they would have never been as wise as they were, in my opinion. In modern society, each individual has access to high quality education and can find all kinds of theories, insights and ideas in a matter of seconds, if he/she knows how. This is a big advantage. The problem is though, that because of our technology and because we have access to everything, we are so distracted. There is so much we COULD do, that most people end up doing nothing in particular. They don't even care about some kind of deeper meaning any more because there is so much to stuff the mind with, that it does not search for a solution. Centuries ago, people did not have any refined foods, loads of sugar or something like that. They ate because they were hungry and did not get many diseases from their food. Today, we have so much food, that we don't even feel hunger any more. We eat because we like the taste, which results in our main causes of death being diet-related.
We have unlimited resources, but we waste them mercilessly. 

20 hours ago, bluesky said:

In ancient societies, like India, people were living more agriculure life, but the philosophy, going for spiritual journey in my opinion, is far better then todays.

India has produced many enlightened persons, mystics, spiritualists but mainstream society was never spiritual in true sense. No country in the history has been spiritual in true sense. Poverty is not spirituality. In East many people pretend to be spiritual but they are hypocrites most of the times. India had a golden age in the past but it was in a miserable state since last one thousand years. Poverty , misery , diseases, violence are indicators of a non-spiritual society.