rorghee

Finding A Good Concentration Target

20 posts in this topic

This relates to Leo's video on concentration vs meditation, I've been doing the exercise for about a month now, and it is picturing a candle in my head and fully concentrating on it. I've seen that this has improved my meditations and my overall focus which is great, I do at least 3 two minute sessions a day, but slowly this image of a candle I've been using to concentrate is becoming harder and harder to visualise in my head for some reason, like I'm not sure if it's a bad target because my mind seems to find it hard to picture the candle the same each session, for example one session I'll picture a clear candle and others I'll have a very blurry version and it will be distorted in some way or I'll focus on a different part of the candle which makes it hard to focus on it. So basically instead of just focusing on the candle, my mind is trying to focus on a part of a candle, which makes me think I chose a complex target rather than a simple one. Is this normal or should I try a different target like the metronome?, or should I stick to what I'm doing because I know I'm meant to stick to it even though it's a bit difficult right now.  This doubting is also screwing me up because sometimes in the middle of my exercises I wonder if I chose a bad target. Anyone wanna help?

Also tell me the targets yous are all using to concentrate on and how it's working for you that would be appreciated 

Leo's idea of the metronome app works good for me

Try breath. It works great.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

As Leo suggested, just touching two fingers has worked well for me.

I do concentration practice before each meditation session. I use metronome and I like the sound of Google metronome - https://www.google.co.id/webhp?hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJkP_gy5TUAhUBtY8KHbkKDagQPAgD&gws_rd=cr&ei=X88rWYaLE6GcvQSAl4yYAw#hl=en&q=metronome

But I noticed that if I use one object for concentration all the time (metronome sound), I get too used to it, and my attention does not want to stick to an old object so much anymore. Therefore, I'm planning to change objects of concentration from time to time - metronome, visualization of a color, physical touch, breath, etc.

On 5/29/2017 at 0:40 AM, Naviy said:

But I noticed that if I use one object for concentration all the time (metronome sound), I get too used to it, and my attention does not want to stick to an old object so much anymore.

Of course it doesn't want to stick. That's the thing you gotta break through past, not avoid! You should be able to focus on one thing for 5000 hours. Boring is in your mind.

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course it doesn't want to stick. That's the thing you gotta break through past, not avoid! You should be able to focus on one thing for 5000 hours. Boring is in your mind.

So for starters should I stick with one thing or change it up between mental images, breathing, etc?

Edited by sweater

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

What works really good for me, is focussing on the pressure between two of my fingers when they touch. I noticed that I feel more different and more accurate sensations the more I do that exercise.

Raising concentration and focus is a big part of my meditation habit. It consists of 4 steps: First, I focus on my fingers touching for two minutes. Then, I do mindfulness meditation for 20 minutes. After that, I repeat step one and do vipassana meditation for 10 minutes.

That way I have three different types of focus: my fingers, my nostrils when doing vipassana and the sensations "in my head" and around me when doing mindfulness meditation.

Putting my hand on my stomach while breathing works great for me! Just stick to one thing and continue concentrating. ;)

Quick question for Leo, I don't really want to change the subject of this thread. I like meditating outdoors, but especially when doing mindfulness meditation, I have a problem. Mostly, I let my mind focus on whatever it wants, I label it and so on. But some sounds, especially birds chirping, always draw my attention away from whatever I was focussing on before. Now birds don't chirp once and then they shut up, they mess my focus up every few seconds. Is there a way to make the mind "ignore" a certain sound while trying to practice mindfulness at the same time?

I can't concentrate on an object imagined or otherwise, unless "my ego" thinks "I" should. I look for the one concentrating, and only find thought, memory, reactive, conditioned emotion and intent (as in, 'I do this to get that.'). I know the result of action based in conditioning, is only more conditioning. In other words, if an object appears, so does a conditioned "I". EVERY TIME. That way is always more of the same. No "concentrator", no one improving, accomplishing or achieving. If I look for the one who is aware, only empty space appears, and any "thing" reflects the purity and openness of space. Since there's no "I" or "object" in any absolute sense, and the purity of empty awareness is undeniable, what change is needed or possible? Since I can see the signs of conditioned mind, and how identification works to maintain a sense of separateness and confusion, the elements of ego rarely come together. Once stable, helping others stabilize arises automatically, as ego naturally diminishes. This is the compassion Buddha, Jesus, Krishna, Kwan Yin, Tara and Avalokiteshvara all speak of; the self-actualized, self-arising light of complete perfection this instant. How better to describe eternal life?

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Easy..Sex ¬¬

13 hours ago, Phillip said:

Now birds don't chirp once and then they shut up, they mess my focus up every few seconds. Is there a way to make the mind "ignore" a certain sound while trying to practice mindfulness at the same time?

Yes, it's called CONCENTRATION!

Practice it.

You cannot think your way into concentration, you must concentration your way there. With bird sounds it's actually quite easy. Just focus on the other thing.

ring of your nostrils and the triangular area above your lips below your nose

@Vipassana Exactly what I've learned in my Vipassana retreat. 

@rorghee I think the breath is one of the important subjects to concentrate on because your breath is the connection between your mind and your body. If you are angry, sad,... your breaths will change and also if your body has problems like if you're sick, your breaths will change. So learn to focus on your breath will not only help with your meditation but also your everyday life.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, Leo Gura said:

Yes, it's called CONCENTRATION!

Practice it.

You cannot think your way into concentration, you must concentration your way there. With bird sounds it's actually quite easy. Just focus on the other thing.

Concentration, practice, focus....movements of thought. 

This is thinking your way through. That is concentration.