Emre

Enlightenmwnt Vs Craziness

15 posts in this topic

Isn't actually enlightenment craziness/madness? I mean if you think about it properly like 'letting the mind go' etc. these are the basic things that are being said on the path. Even if it can be distinguished from craziness, still isn't there a great risk for going crazy while approaching the techniques?

@Emre I've been on this path for a while now and I haven't completely lost my mind yet.

That's how I know there is more work to be done.

20 minutes ago, Emre said:

isn't there a great risk for going crazy while approaching the techniques?

Yes - there is some risk.  That is one of the values of having a teacher...he or she keeps you from going off the deep end (if that is where you are headed).

Enlightenment is true sanity.  To cease believing and being fooled by the illusions of the mind. 

Of course, anyone who is trapped in their own illusions/delusions deeply enough and if they vary enough from "norm" is considered crazy.  For the enlightened...believing and being trapped by any of your own illusions/delusions is partial craziness.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

‘I’m going to tell you a story,’ said Zedka. ‘A powerful wizard, who wanted to destroy an entire kingdom, placed a magic potion in the well from which all the inhabitants drank. Whoever drank that water would go mad.’

‘The following morning, the whole population drank from the well and they all went mad, apart from the king and his family, who had a well set aside for them alone, and which the magician had not managed to poison. The king was worried and tried to control the population by issuing a series of edicts governing security and public health. The policemen and the inspectors, however, had  also drunk the poisoned water and they thought the king’s decisions were absurd and resolved to take no notice of them.

‘When the inhabitants of the kingdom heard these decrees, they became convinced that the king had gone mad and was now giving nonsensical orders. They marched on the castle and called for his abdication.

‘In despair, the king prepared to step down from the throne, but the queen stopped him, saying: “Let us go and drink from the communal well. Then, we will be the same as them.”

‘And that was what they did: the king and the queen drank the water of madness and immediately began talking nonsense. Their subjects repented at once; now that the king was displaying such wisdom, why not allow him to continue ruling the country?

‘The country continued to live in peace, although its inhabitants behaved very differently from those of its neighbours. And the king was able to govern until the end of his days.’

‘Exactly,’ said Zedka.’They think they’re normal, because they all do the same thing. Well, I’m going to pretend that I have drunk from the same well as them.’

Excerpt from 'Veronika decides to die', by Paulo Coelho

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

....because the alternative has produced such a sane society devoid of suffering, right?

Well to be clear, I have been on the path myself for almost a year now. And for the last 3 months I have been feeling really strange.The perceiver that we all think to be inside the head, is completely gone. I hear a lot of people talking about this shit, calling it every good thing they know. But I mean this experience is not good for me, not at all. The hardest thing is I can not make myself clear about this because everything I say requires this 'thing' in the body and when I say that I am struggling with its disappearance, nobody seems to be able to make sense out of it. Well this includes 'me' which I am telling that disappeared. Again...

Whatever this post was saying simply: What if I'm going crazy?

22 minutes ago, Emre said:

But I mean this experience is not good for me, not at all.

Notice what's happening here.

You've undertaken a path to eliminate the "I", and yet you're sitting there worried about how not having an "I" will not be good for you.

OF COURSE it's not good for you! It's suicide for you. Literally.

What if you already were crazy and now that you've finally started to become sane, your craziness was so deep that it is telling you that sanity is craziness, and vice versa?

You deny that you already were crazy, yet isn't that exactly what a crazy person would think?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think she is overwhelmed. Maybe she needs to step back into ordinary reality to for a while, to calm herself down. that is the game right , so we may as well play it whilst we're here. 

Crazy is a made up label, from the age of Enlightnement from doctors who knew few or nothing of the human mind.

4 hours ago, Emre said:

Isn't actually enlightenment craziness/madness? I mean if you think about it properly like 'letting the mind go' etc. these are the basic things that are being said on the path. Even if it can be distinguished from craziness, still isn't there a great risk for going crazy while approaching the techniques?

You will be crazy but in the greatest way possible. The universe will make you crazy because you will see that you are it, but...you look like the Tao. And that is the greatest gift that is possible to have. 

@Leo Gura I started to think this is where surrendering, accepting starts.

I mean there is no other way.

No person whether he/she says he/she is 1000% percent enlightened could create this thing, this 'I' again. I think this might be the point, where even craziness and madness are accepted. 

Edited by Emre

You sound just like me, I made the self truly realize it's not real, not me, and it was terrifying. You are right, this is where acceptance/surrendering can begin to happen. I had to accept that I truly have no idea who I am. Your story literally matches mine haha, you have to accept. It's the ego trying to fight back.

@Emre The Truth is the Truth. Craziness and madness are human inventions.

Don't be surprised that people accuse you of being mad when once you've reached the highest Truth. That is how it must appear to them. Falsehood can only survive by calling itself Truth. Black must call itself white. The Devil must remain thinking he's an angel, otherwise he cannot keep being a devil.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura You are perfectly right Leo. If Truth looked like Truth to them they'd already be on the path. But at the same time...

If any person were to go mad, wouldn't all these things be what he/she'd say? Like think about it. Probably every word would be one of these. This is so paradoxical.

There's this old saying: the madman and the sage are in the same ocean, it's just that the sage has learned how to swim...