Max_V

Belief That Consciousness Comes From The Brain

19 posts in this topic

After a meditation insight I found out that I have this deep belief that my consciousness comes from my brain and that I'm separate from everything else. How do I break this belief and experience the truth?

Thanks for helping out,

Max

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

1. Meditation

2. Self-inquiry/Questioning reality.

3. A good psychedelic trip

Be patient tho, it takes time to unwire your beliefs.

1.5 to 2 grams of shrooms might do it.  studying quantum physics could help u see that you're just energy looking at energy right now.   letting go of all preferences could do it. Also, something to think about that might help...all emotion can somewhat be categorized as points towards connectedness and feels good, or points towards seperation and feels bad.  consciounessness just can't be found. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Made a website about it that should be in my signature, but honestly, understanding it intellectually.. I don't know, better to strive to direct experience of No-Self or purify the stuck emotions.

Why do you believe that the idea you have about consciousness is false and another idea is true? All that amounts to is swapping a belief for another one, then instead of believing the old one, you are believing the new one and belief is still framing the paradigm of the mind.

Just because others agree with you, whether on the old idea in certain ideological circles or on the new idea in different ideological circles, it's still a belief in the mind's paradigm. It's not the ideas in of themselves that are of value, it's how those ideas serve our experience that are the value.

Belief in an idea is the framework of the mind's paradigm and by labeling an idea it's the mind seeking to identify it more than our experience of observing it in the present moment to fit it into it's paradigm of beliefs. An idea is like a flower in the field, it's beautiful and alive as it is in it's natural state of being but once we pick that flower to keep for our self it dies.

An absence of belief in any mind paradigm is an inherent trait of being present in the moment awareness, this 'presence' doesn't go about labeling things as true or false, It is simply being as it is and observes as it is without using systems to identify which are the processes and products of the paradigm creating mind.

Presence isn't using a belief to be present, it is just being aware as it is and observing the moment as it is.

@Max_V Notice that you don't actually know what you are. Like seriously... you have no idea yet. You are unable to articulate what you are without speaking nonsense and contradicting yourself.

Hence self-inquiry.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Never did self-inquiry before, I will try and start that habit aswell. You have a video on it too right?

Thanks!

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

On 5/18/2017 at 7:48 AM, Max_V said:

After a meditation insight I found out that I have this deep belief that my consciousness comes from my brain and that I'm separate from everything else. How do I break this belief and experience the truth?

Thanks for helping out,

Max

Who(?) found out that who(?) has this deep belief that whose(?) consciousness comes from whose(?) brain and that who(?) is separate from everything else?

Who are you?  Who are you really?

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

Steven Davis' work was a big catalyst for me breaking through this particular issue. His website offers a free ebook (or audio book), and a five part video workshop. Well worth checking it in my opinion: http://www.butterfliesfree.com/

19 hours ago, Max_V said:

@Leo Gura Never did self-inquiry before, I will try and start that habit aswell. You have a video on it too right?

Thanks!

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Max_V  One thing that it helped me a lot is to be mindful all the time. Mostly mindful about "the thoughts"... notice that I didn't write "your thoughts".

The thoughts are what create the distortion on reality. If you can see that you don't have control over your thoughts, you will see  that they have no power on you. Ergo, your belief about your brain having your "consciousness" or creating it it's going to fall apart.

You need patience, it takes time... we have been indoctrinated all our life to that belief. It needs to be  removed but not with other belief. It has to be consciousness who awakens. Your real self. 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

We don't know much about the brain, and scientist still don't understand what consciousness is and how it impact the brain.

You never feel your brain except when you have a headache, and when that happen you feel the brain just like any other part of the body.
Now it SEEMS that the brain is what we are because when a headache happens, it impact our thoughts one way or another, and since most people think they are their thoughts, they feel threatened ...

One of the reason we think we are the brain is that it is very close to where we perceive the world, the eyes.
Have you ever wondered why thoughts seems to appear in our brain ? Why not somewhere else ?

And if you are the brain, why not the entirety of the body ? How could you be "just the brain" ?
That doesn't even make sense, either you are the body, or you don't.
Still, most of us don't think we are the feets, the fingers, or the chest, it is seen as personal objects, not what we are ...

If you are the brain, how come do you exist when you don't think at all, not even inconsciously in the background ?
What are you in this kind of moments ? Do you die ?

It feels like you're dead, but you aren't, so what is there ?
What can experience life without thinking at all ?

So what are you ?

HINT: It's something very obvious, so obvious that you've overlooked it your all life.
It isn't something spectacular nor that it will change your overall experience at first.
It is extremely subtile and just right in front of your face, many seekers don't even realize it before their first awakening, some even still seek something else after ...

If you "find" it, the only thing you have to do, is to realize it again and again, and it will go deeper and deeper.
It will go so deep, that in fact, it will change your overall experience, but don't wait an experience to start doing that.
This is the number 1 trap, that and the fact that most people only work on it during sitted meditation (and are still very inconscious during their daily routine ...)

@Max_V No, not before your birth.

How do you know for sure you've started somewhere ?
Think of what you are now, never put time, either past or future to discover what you are.

This can only be done now, there is nothing else than now.

@abrakamowse Being mindful is already it ...
Why do you think no teacher ever says they are enlightened ?
Because they were long before their overall experience shifted drastically, they know that very well.

We're all enlightened, right now, even if you're inconscious as fucked and totally immerged in your thoughts, it does not matter at all, the only difference is that you're not aware of it.
So, whenever you're mindful, you're already the truth, except that you don't realize everything of it, yet, that's all.

Now we shoudn't use this to slack off and skip our sitted meditations schedule, or stopped being mindful/present whenever we can, that would be foolish, and that's not what I am saying at all.
Yes, technically you'll still be enlightened even if you don't do these things, but in you stop being present and don't do your meditation everyday, chances are that you'll go full inconscious again, and the experience of life will become again painful.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about being inconscious, simply because you can't be conscious all the time, you're a human being, you're not designed to be 101% conscious ALL THE TIME.
Just use your inconsciousness to realize things you didn't solved yet, but don't judge yourself, that's also a big trap, and the other one is to not take notes of what you've failed to do and say "oh well, no judgment right ? Then why the fuck should I try to better myself ?".

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Ye.. What am I..

I keep having this question in my head. "Where was I before I was born ?". I really find this question interesting. It gives me a weird feeling when I think about it.

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

12 minutes ago, Shin said:

This is the number 1 trap, that and the fact that most people only work on it during sitted meditation (and are still very inconscious during their daily routine ...)

Do you think that being mindful all the time can be enough to see it?

@Shin  Thanks!

That's what I am doing all the time, trying to be mindful all the time and thoughts are appearing less and less than before. And I am trying again to go back to my meditation schedule. I stopped for some months and yesterday I began to meditate again on top of being mindful all the time.

I appreciate your input!

:-) 

6 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Shin  Thanks!

That's what I am doing all the time, trying to be mindful all the time and thoughts are appearing less and less than before. And I am trying again to go back to my meditation schedule. I stopped for some months and yesterday I began to meditate again on top of being mindful all the time.

I appreciate your input!

:-) 

The fact that thoughts appear less and less are nice, but this isn't really that important.
What is important is your capacity to not get lost in them and to know (for real) they aren't really you, that they are nothing more than an appearance in your awareness, just like anything else.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

13 minutes ago, Shin said:

The fact that thoughts appear less and less are nice, but this isn't really that important.
What is important is your capacity to not get lost in them and to know (for real) they aren't really you, that they are nothing more than an appearance in your awareness, just like anything else.

That's what I needed to hear and I wasn't understanding. I had a lot of beliefs about thoughts, like if I see that I am not my thoughts "what am I going to do"? "How I will know how to function"... Lol...

:-P

Those are just thoughts and not real.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:48 AM, Max_V said:

Thanks for helping out,

Max

The realization of nonduality comes after the fact of experiencing duality. You cannot experience non-duality (to 'experience' is dualistic), you can only know of it, so the only way to experience the truth is through realization. 

Breaking the belief, as with other beliefs, is a matter of habit. Find ways to remind yourself of the truth regularly, via meditation, reading insightful spiritual works, etc.

the spiritual atheist

9 minutes ago, Russell Parr said:

You cannot experience non-duality (to 'experience' is dualistic)

This is more dualism delusion, to experience isn't dualistic and as soon as you break your belief in dualism you will see how obviously you are under the delusion of dualism. Even if you think there is one divided into two, dualism, there is really a third that the primitive part of our mind fails to recognize and is the source of this misperception of a dualism delusion.