LifeandDeath

Mindfulness And Non-duality Practice

9 posts in this topic

I've been practising mindfulness & attempting to get my head around non-duality for a little while now. 

I've come to realise that all is mind is dual in nature, so we should discard it as not-self and practise of non-attachment with the aim to realise our true nature of our non-dual nature, which we can't ever be aware of. Because our non-dual nature is something incomprehensible, we are only left with our dual minds in our experience. 

So we need to embrace our dual minds, while letting it all go at the same time, to comprehend the incomprehensible? 

Am I on track here? 

More or less :D 

You are already embracing that mind. That's why it is yours. It is not different than your hand. Or your tongue. And it is as much yours as those are. And it understands exactly as much as your arm or leg do... So yes, truth cannot be comprehended. 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@LifeandDeath Sounds good. I've recently been coming to some similar conclusions. The mind is a machine that is rapidly spitting out labels so it can compress 'reality' into different little boxes, because that's what it likes to do. But REALITY can not be conceptualized.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Well, we can be aware of our non-dual nature, that's what awakening is and enlightenment is us being aware of living in that nature, which the mind may never be able to understand.

5 hours ago, SOUL said:

Well, we can be aware of our non-dual nature, that's what awakening is and enlightenment is us being aware of living in that nature, which the mind may never be able to understand.

@SOUL when you say 'be aware' of non-dual nature, is this through faith or indirect experience, or are you saying one can directly experience non-duality. Awareness = comprehending something with attention. Even though awareness itself is the canvas for conscious expression to present itself, my understanding is that we will never be able to directly be aware of our awareness direct because it's we are the sun and like light (awareness) is shining out. But we know it's there because if it wasn't we wouldn't be aware. But we have to dismantle what we 'think' awareness by deconstructing any assumed idea of it. 

You jumped straight to 'aware of our non-dual nature'... can you please elaborate?   

thanks @BeginnerActualizer @Ayla @SOUL for your replies

good to know i'm on the right track 

this stuff is so nuanced but so simple at the same time. I find it's riddled with paradoxes and mental traps, and the ego continually manifests itself in new ways like I continually have to recognise it's different forms, then take responsibility to peel it away. And when I do i have to be careful not to gloat about it as that's ego in disguise waiting again. I'm hoping as I become stronger my ego will quieten down but I'm also prepared for it to get stronger, more subtle and even more cunning. 

@LifeandDeath

Our consciousness in it's most illuminated state is aware that it is awareness which manifests in the mind as our self conscious of itself.

As we awaken our awareness to being aware our ego awakens to itself being an awakened awareness.... monkey see monkey do.... hehe

Duality is just a paradigm of the mind, one that it uses to 2d "model" reality but awakening is like a quantum collapse in our consciousness so entangles infinite potential.

Edited by SOUL

@SOUL wow, this is helping me get over a conceptual limitation 

I thought that we could never be aware of awareness, because it's like a touch shining out and it never can shine directly on itself 

So when you describe 'self conscious' then this is starting to make more sense in the possibility of something external of myself understanding itself and it's about the ego stepping back and letting that happen through us, as we watch the unfolding self awareness take place. I imagine as we step back, then as self awareness is aware of itself I imagine we as ego dualistic being would feel like we have remembered something and can sit in peace outside any stimulation or experience, in joyful spacious silence. 

I believe I've been there, but I know there's a lot more ego deconstructing to do for myself to reach new levels 

any methods you can share that have perhaps worked for you would help 

thanks 

@LifeandDeath  I hear people say that about awareness, too.

Although, my feeble human mind can be aware of it being aware even with the load of manifest ego conscious of itself so absolute consciousness is infinitely much more aware and we have the ability to tap that through our own awareness.

Edited by SOUL