Michael119

Ego Death In A Dream.

12 posts in this topic

Have any of you guys ever experienced ego death in a dream? Last night I was dreaming that I was walking down a street and all of a sudden this anxiety hit me, like I knew something was about to happen. I felt like I was dying, but not in a physical sense, it was like reality was slipping away. I immediately woke up in panic and dreaded going back to sleep because I was convinced it would happen again.

@Michael119 I don't remember experiencing ego death in a dream, but your description sounds very close. Your on the right track there! It could be that what is happening is subconsciously your ego is already resisting by putting up a fuss behind the scenes. Which is perfectly normal activity for the ego. That's a good sign b-c the ego feels threatened. You must be getting close to a break through.

Reality doesn't slip away although the ego may tell you differently. Reality is always reality. What will slip away though is the ego's version of seeing reality which is a warped delusion. Once the ego is broken through it's like you took the blinders of delusion off and your seeing reality as it truly is. 

May I suggest contemplating this, If your ego's view of reality suddenly fell away, how could that possibly effect true reality?

Had a similar thing, but it was like an infinite void spreading from the "inside".
After this I was able to see more easily the "isness" of all things (except maybe humans).

So you're definitely on the right track :) 

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Ego death is only scary if you identify with the ego. Ego is the unobserved mind throwing thoughts at you that you believe, nothing more. The one who makes the unobserved mind observed is you.

But the thoughts, feelings and sensations that come from the unobserved mind / subconscious / unmanifested is not you. You are the quality which allows the unmanifested to be observed as manifested. You are neither the unmanifested nor the manifested, you are the quality which transforms one into the other. You are not the unconscious, nor the conscious, you are the quality which makes one into the other and observes both.

Ego death does not have to be scary or hard. Dropping away of personalities and identities becomes easy when you really know that all phenomena are illusory and cannot touch you. You are the quality like light, which make the dark shine. 

Then you can be who you are once you drop all effort to be someone based on thoughts. Just be who you are without letting thoughts guide you. Be guided by being. Let thoughts be there, transcendence of thoughts does not mean destruction of thoughts, it means going above thoughts. Not being what the thoughts tell you, but who you are??? How can it be hard. Everyone is that. How hard is it for an illusion to die???

PS: Ego death is easier than picking up girls or staying in a relationship.

PS2: You go to ego death every night in sleep. Is it hard??? It's just not the epic story your mind wants.

Edited by Who_Am_I

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

This is actually your preceived paradigm breaking because some insight you have that challenges deep fundamental assumptions you hold to be true. Awakenings like these can turn into existantial crisis or to pure bliss and a glimpse of what enlightenment is like.

The key is to understand that you move within a certain pressumed paradigm but you let everything that doesn't fit open for interpretation. No paradigm is perfect, all are flawed in someway, thats why there exist so many different views.

1 hour ago, Stoica Doru said:

@Michael119 Congratulations, man! You're making a lot of progress. My awakening was severely impacted by a same experience. 

You'll find details here : https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/9709-am-i-awakened/

@Stoica Doru I just listened to the Adyashanti video that you presented and that really hit home for me. I could have used that during my awakening. I remember feeling as if I had one foot in each world for a while and didn't know where to stand. Or if what I was experiencing as being disorientated was usual. The Terra Firma that the ego once rested upon was now  gone.

From point of view of story/ego there is past, now and future

From point of view of observing awareness, future is seen as unmanifested pure potential,  the past is seen as the manifested storyline/movie/dream. The now is seen as a bunch of sights, thoughts, sensations, feelings, stuffness that is known. 

Looking at he storyline and the potential are seen as things that create duality, because of the simple truth that there is only now. Why base our sense of self from something we clearly know don't exist?

The now moment is like an intersection point and the gate from egoic mind of past future and now to awareness of the content of now and awareness of awareness itself, whichis you, now - things could not be simpler. 

You can switch between the two even. Ego death is instant when you see you are the awareness.

You can identify with what awareness points to and it is not egoic identification,  because it is actually truth. It can never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be taken from you, because whatever is taken from you, you remain.

If you identify with awareness, it is the mind, recognising it's own true nature. The mind itself is made of awareness, so it would not be false for any mind to say they are awareness, unless they dont see what the word awareness points to, and it points to you, the you that cannot be outside the now Ever, unless it's dreaming.

Let's wake the fuck up, as Mooji says, nonduality teachings are giving us the most important thing as Baby food!!!!

This is the easy and most direct path. Dont expect that you need to suffer or experience feelings of dread. Your ego will not die if it is truth,  in which case it is not ego at all. Because ego is the illusion.

So take your place as awareness now and you will never have to die.

Edited by Who_Am_I

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

Don't know if it's related, but recently I realize that I have a major shift in consciousness whenever I quit work.
After all the socializing and labeling that I have to do, it feels like an instant shift, reality feels instantly more "dreamy".
Especially if I go take a walk in the forest, I don't even know if I'm dreaming or not when I'm there, it's absurd.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin lol exactly like me! Every time I come home from work my monkey mind shuts down and my "concioussness" changes somehow. Also when I take a walk in nature and after some meditation, "reality" feels dream-like.

I don't know if any of my experiences are the same as yours but there have been 2 dreams which were too much out of ordinary and it fits the description of ego death as in both cases my sense of what is me changed in the dream. Not complete ego death but partial ego death. But since nothing has changed out of the dream, I'm thinking that both were just some mind playing tricks with me. I don't know.... 

I had this weird dream 2 or 3 days ago after watching some videos that day on other dimensions of perception -  I remember I was in some house and there was a person standing in the next room of that house. I was standing there just watching my right hand. Then I was hearing some weird sound (it was more like someother beings' voice) filling the whole space and as I was hearing that sound, the blue coloured wall in front of me become blurry and my hand and the other person whom I could see with my peripheral vision were vanishing. My whole body was disappearing. It felt like I was dispersing into space. It was really scary for a moment especially that sound, then I thought maybe I was entering some other dimension of reality and then curiosity over took my fear and then I let that happen (that doesn't mean I wasn't scared, what I meant is I choose to be scared rather than be so close to something interesting and miss it), but then as soon as I let it happen I woke up. I was scared to go to sleep again but then I said to myself that it was just because I was watching some videos that my mind was imagining too much and then went back to sleep.

I remember last year I had one dream where I was seeing the universe from outer space but what was me was extended long. I couldn't see my body I was just space with stars dotted. Then once I realized my usual body outline was missing I asked myself "WHERE IS MY BODY" and then in a second I could feel my body then I was awake.

Edited by Seeker_of_truth

I experienced it the other night but the transition was much easier because i was already in an altered state or astral state(as they say).

Although it was nowhere near as vivid and powerful to my Psychedelic experiences it was that same "ahh i get it now" infinite understanding then back your back or wake up and completely forget what that understanding was.

It makes me laugh everytime, life really is a blessing :)

B R E A T H E