Jack_Clark

Conflicts With Buddhism

3 posts in this topic

I have started out as a secular meditator, but I have recently been attending a Buddhist meditation service. I am beginning the Lamrim, which is a cycle of 21 meditations that you repeat until enlightenment is reached. The meditations focus on visualizing Buddha and becoming him, a lot of the meditations on death involve rebirth and merit, all of which I feel slightly uncomfortable with. As a result I find it hard getting into meditation and trying to actively visualize these things where I would rather just be mindful. The Buddhist service claims this is the best way to attain enlightenment, but I am skeptical and am wondering If I should stick to meditations that people like Shinzen Young teach? I don't want to immediately close myself off to these potentially beneficial techniques but i'm also not comfortable with the more religion based sides of Buddhism like the idolization of Buddha, taking rebirth and merit/ karma on faith?

4 minutes ago, Jack_Clark said:

The Buddhist service claims this is the best way to attain enlightenment

This is a classic trap. There is no "one best way" to attain enlightenment, different people resonant with different paths and teachings.

15 minutes ago, Jack_Clark said:

but I am skeptical and am wondering If I should stick to meditations that people like Shinzen Young teach?

I suggest doing whatever resonates with you most.

[insert quote here]

Meditation that is difficult emotionally, like contemplating your own death, is worth the effort.

Meditation that is easy and leaves too much room for random thoughts, like (maybe) visualisation of becoming a buddha, is not worth the effort.

Visualisation meditation seems to be in a category of concentration methods, kind of similar to Anapanasati where you focus on the breath. The key here is to find a good object of visualisation/concentration. For some it's the breath, for some it's the Buddha. It might also change with time.