Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stevegan928

If You Were Put In Prison For 20 Years Would You Continue Down The Self Actualization Path?

16 posts in this topic

i think i'd just spend all my time meditating and try to get solitary confinement if i can. wouldn't wanna hurt anyone for it though. i'd also hope they have vegan options for food. 

Wouldn't that be all there is left to do, meditate and be at peace within, be free within that the external world looks the same regardless of where you are if your connected to source within. Whats quite interesting you watch charles manson speak similar words, that even though he is in there in his mind he is free and that's all that matters.

B R E A T H E

I have been inspired by Victor Frankl.

Extract from Wikipedia: 'Frankl wrote his world-famous book entitled, Trotzdem Ja Zum Leben Sagen: Ein Psychologe Erlebt das Konzentrationslager ("Saying Yes to Life in Spite of Everything: A Psychologist Experiences the Concentration Camp"), known in English by the title Man's Search for Meaning (1959 title: "From Death-Camp to Existentialism")'

Self-actualization is important for everyone. In fact those who suffer need it more than others. If not then, it's like saying people need better health care but not the patients. That would be so ironic. Prisoners need self-development in addition to extensive therapy. Because they suffer from an entire spectrum of mental illnesses caused by the unpleasant jail conditions and lack of family support. Most folks in prison actually come from economically backward sections of society and have had been raised in dysfunctional family/social conditions. And therefore they need support, therapy and different ways of engaging their time productively. 

In fact they've lot of time on their hands that can be used for mental recuperation and rehabilitation. And self-actualization techniques would work wonders for  rehab patients. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

in fact, that'd leave me with no other choice.

unborn Truth

Idk what you're saying. Sounds like heaven to me. 

15 hours ago, stevegan928 said:

i think i'd just spend all my time meditating and try to get solitary confinement if i can.

This is so freaky. I had the exact same thought today. 

As someone whose actually been in federal prison yes, I have and did. I exercised both my body and my mind.

Also, some of the comments on here are very naive and sheltered. Solitary confinement is not fun and not a heaven, often times the SHU or the "Hole" is not solitary, but a very small cell with you and two other guys. Locked in together 23/7 with an hour of recreation, which if your lucky might be outside, but might not be.

I went over 6 months straight without direct sunlight at one point and when I finally got sent to another prison that allowed outside rec, got sun poisoning that I had to deal with myself because the doctor there was shit and didn't care. 

There are a lot of pressures and hardships that people just won't understand unless they've spent over a year in prison. It's definitely not something to be desired or glorified. And that's coming from someone who had it easier than most, with the tools to succeed and make even a place like prison a positive for himself. Most people aren't that fortunate.

There is a short story by Anton chekhov about  a banker and a young lawyer who make a bet with each other about whether the death penalty is better or worse than life in prison. and lawyer is made to spent 15 years in solitary confinment to get bet money. He actualy self actualize there and on last day of his solitary confinment he put a note there and run off. The note declares that in his time in confinement he has learned to despise material goods as fleeting things and he believes that knowledge is worth more than money. 

Yes i will self actualize and in 20 years it will be Awesome and to extent i cant even imagine. But when Im Free, i think i will kill myself.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I had thoughts of doing some stupid things just for that.

It's the only way to meditate all the time without having to do anything else when you think about it xD 

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

15 minutes ago, Shin said:

I had thoughts of doing some stupid things just for that.

It's the only way to meditate all the time without having to do anything else when you think about it xD 

Leave a trail when buying psychedelics. Then you got two opportunities for growth. The 2 in 1 growth prison package ?

You guys think you'd want solitary confinement, but be careful what you wish for. It's the worst to me. 

On the other hand, if I had to stay in solitary for eternity, I'd eventually make peace with it.