faith

Would You Like To Do Dive Into Jupiter?

9 posts in this topic

Dear Actualized.org Community,

Falling into Jupiter would be an amazing and weird experience. Jupiter is a giant gas planet, which means you could go straight through without ever hitting a surface (all though there is a possibility that there is a small core in the centre). Imagine being able to enter Earth's atmosphere through North Pole only to come out of South Pole shortly after - that would be the case if Earth had no surface. Back to Jupiter....

Diving in a spaceship, first you would go through the cloud layers made up of ammonia, methane, and sulphur, and you would see colourful storms everywhere. Assuming you could survive these storms which have speeds of 600 km/h. You would also smell rotten eggs everywhere because of all these compounds in the atmosphere. 

After a while, the spaceship will get engulfed in darkness - total darkness - because the Sun won't be able to penetrate anymore layers of atmosphere. However, you will shortly see light from one of the most amazing things about Jupiter - it has an ocean. Jupiter is made up of mostly hydrogen. Most of the gas on the planet is, in fact, gaseous form of hydrogen. But as you dive deeper, the pressure increases. Gas becomes more and more compact. Under tremendous pressure (which a spaceship wouldn't survive, it would just get crushed into a flat plate, but for the sake of the argument let's say it can withstand this pressure) the gaseous hydrogen condenses into a liquid. So as you go deeper and deeper into Jupiter, you will start to notice that the gas becomes steamier and steamier until it's indistinguishable from liquid. 

And here is the best part about Jupiter. As you go deeper into this ocean, you will discover there is a much more bizarre ocean lying right underneath this ocean. It's hydrogen in a special form called metallic liquid hydrogen - its much brighter than the surface of the sun, and it has a blueish colour. It would be something similar to diving into one of Earth's oceans while it's undergoing a severe lightning storm. This is because metallic liquid hydrogen conducts electricity really well. 

By the way, you wouldn't want to scoop up a bowl of that liquid hydrogen and bring it to Earth, because without the colossal pressure that Jupiter exerts on the hydrogen, it would go off in a hell storm of hydrogen bombs. 

giphy.gif

Or you can just dive under and come up again, and not travel all the way trough it's core. 

Sign me up for travel to Mars for real. 

20 hours ago, Dead_Mouse said:

What got you so interested in Jupiter? Yeah, that would be cool, but you'd need a ship that could withstand the temperature and pressure, and be able to illuminate your path so you can see all that stuff.

I don't know, I always thought it was cool how all the planets are so different. For example, I heard there are planets out there that are completely covered in diamonds. Wouldn't that be a sight? It's like Superman's home planet or something. And there are many, many examples of how weird things can get out there in space. I think it's fun to think about. I know nothing like that is ever possible, that's why my thoughts is all I have

20 hours ago, Dead_Mouse said:

Just be careful to avoid the dark matter on Uranus.

:o

2 hours ago, SFRL said:

Sign me up for travel to Mars for real. 

Hey, it could happen in our lifetime. First they'll send astronauts, then they'll want average Joes like us to go up there and reproduce. Unless of course you're an astronaut, then you have a very good chance to be the first one there! :D

25 minutes ago, crazycrazycrazy said:

I don't know, I always thought it was cool how all the planets are so different. For example, I heard there are planets out there that are completely covered in diamonds. Wouldn't that be a sight? It's like Superman's home planet or something. And there are many, many examples of how weird things can get out there in space. I think it's fun to think about. I know nothing like that is ever possible, that's why my thoughts is all I have

:o

Hey, it could happen in our lifetime. First they'll send astronauts, then they'll want average Joes like us to go up there and reproduce. Unless of course you're an astronaut, then you have a very good chance to be the first one there! :D

They need Guinea Pigs as well. I think I will make a fine Guinea Pig Austronaut ?

1 minute ago, SFRL said:

They need Guinea Pigs as well. I think I will make a fine Guinea Pig Austronaut ?

Have you seen The Martian with Matt Damon? I feel like it's something they will make every astronaut heading for Mars watch as an orientation video. :P 

4 minutes ago, crazycrazycrazy said:

Have you seen The Martian with Matt Damon? I feel like it's something they will make every astronaut heading for Mars watch as an orientation video. :P 

No I have not. 

Edited by SFRL

17 minutes ago, SFRL said:

No I have not. 

Promise me you'll watch it before you go to Mars! :)

17 minutes ago, crazycrazycrazy said:

Promise me you'll watch it before you go to Mars! :)

I am hoping for something like in the game "Mass Effect". Open up space travel and meet aliens. 

Maybe we'll see once Juno's power runs out? Same as Cassini who will end it's journey in depths of Saturn. I think that's pretty amazing way to say goodbye!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus