Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Visitor

Rediscovering Creativity.

55 posts in this topic

That's amazing, it's so complicated!  How did you learn to do all of this?  I'm very impressed dude.  Can't wait to see more of this project!

48 minutes ago, Annetta said:

... it's so complicated!  How did you learn to do all of this?...

Thank you Annetta for your response. I am trying to keep it simple, yet it is complicated by its need to be operational and childproof. The later I am still working on.

Annetta, I have done many things in my life, especially in my youth. This project is rekindling those old skills and knowledge, but somehow it feels different this time. As if there is more insight/wisdom (learnt from previous errors), patience, less doubt (or less concern about getting it wrong). Because of these new experiences, this project is quite exciting and revealing about my true nature.

The wiring from the span substructure can now be routed to and through the operations hut flooring.

25_Bridge Model update_Span Wiring to Hut.jpg

The lateral (sideways) bumper rollers were made and attached to the span.

26_Bridge Model update_Span Bumper Rollers.jpg

Before building the hut I decided to first add the traffic lights for the river vessels. Their wires were routed under and up through the hut floor.

27_Bridge Model update_Vessel Traffic Lights.jpg

Outside the hut, on the surrounding balconies are enclosures that house equipment for operating and maintaining the bridge. These were shaped from blocks of wood, and painted bridge grey.

28_Bridge Model update_Span Boxed Containers.jpg

Completed and painted the bridge span framework and operations hut. Computer screen shows what the real hut looks like.

31_BMU_Span_ Gangways_Boxes.jpg

Both road and footpath railings are installed. I used matchsticks and split bamboo skewers. Found some narrow washers, in my toolbox, which fitted nicely over the LED navigational lights. Now they look like light beacons.

32_BMU_Span_ Undercarriage and Railings.jpg

I am very happy with the outcome. It is times like this when I question myself, "Did I build that"?

Completed the basic tower framework.

I had to get some more 6 mm (1/4 inch) square timber to complete the job. Hard to believe, but over 11 metres (36 feet) of timber went into making the towers.

35_BMU_Bridge Piers-3.jpg

The bridge span and boat will be moved by the use of pulley wheels and cable. I was not happy with the available pulley wheels, they are not narrow enough. So I decided to make my own by sweat-soldering washers together. I needed ten pulley wheels.

This exercise brought back memories of me as a boy watching the neighbour doing some soldering in his backyard shed.

11_Making the pulley wheels.jpg

Edited by Visitor

Was able to figure out the dimensions of where the cable will run and the materials needed for making brackets to contain the pulley wheels.

36_BMU_Bridge Pulley Brackets-1.jpg

37_BMU_Bridge Pulley Brackets-2.jpg

39_BMU_Bridge Pulley Brackets-3.jpg

The towers are not yet secured to the bridge. Here I was just seeing how the towers will look in there place, and to check the gaps around the bumper rollers.

40_BMU_Bridge Piers-4.jpg 

I think it's looks promising.

Thank you Annetta for your 'likes'.

After securing the pulley wheels to the towers the servicing gangways got built.

41_BMU_Bridge Pier Gangway-1.jpg

Used split bamboo skewers, matchsticks and fly screen for the railings.

42_BMU_Bridge Pier Gangway-2.jpg

Because the bridge towers will be secured to the bridge girders the tower legs will need to pass through the road surface. So the road and footpath needs to be installed before the towers. However, the electrical wiring along the bridge girders, and those of the traffic lights, need to be installed at the same time as the road.

My next task then was to create four sets of traffic lights using red, orange, and green LED lights. The first few attempts to drill 5 mm holes very close to each other failed, until I found the correct procedure. Bottom right photo only shows how the lights will appear on the bridge (not yet installed).

44_ Traffic Lights.jpg

While thinking how to proceed, I realized that once the towers are in the bridge span will not be able to be removed for servicing. The bumper rollers and the pulley wheels atop of the towers are in the way of removal. So I decided to replace two of the fixed lateral bumper rollers with removable ones.

45_Bumper Rollers Modification.jpg

Finally built and installed the road surface and footpaths. I was a real hassle orchestrating the the towers into a straight and level position. The pulley wheel needed to be aligned so that the cable will pass through the holes in the road and display table without touching anything. Well, that is what I am hoping.

46_Bridge road.jpg

So now the towers are installed.

There is a lot of railing work on both the road and footpath. As usual, they are made from matchsticks and split bamboo skewers. I am happy that part of the bridge is finished. I knew it would be a long steady task to complete.

The gaps that you see near the traffic lights are for the swing gates. These swing across the road to block the road traffic. They will be operated by servo motors attached under the display tabletop. Still waiting for servo circuitry parts, so there is a delay in this part of the creation.

47_Bridge road railings.jpg

It's looking better from day to day.

Turned the whole display table on its side. Then routed the wiring towards the centre of the bridge where the control box will be.

48_Display Table Wiring.jpg

@Afonso Thanks for kind word.

Yesterday I spent some time mixing a light grey that will look like new cement. There are many shades of cement from light grey to white. Also, the paint I used looks darker wet than dry.

Aesthetically, I want a pollution free looking bridge. It seems every modeler likes to weather their models. But there is something nice about pristine architecture. Maybe it's because I worked for an architectural rendering studio many years ago, where all illustrations were weather perfect.

50_Bridge cement areas.jpg