Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tako le poulpe

"30 Ways Society Fucks You In The Ass" Hit Me Like A Truck

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm lost.

I've been running and hiding form things my whole life and I just recently started to focus on self developement in general, especially leo's videos.

I've probably seen like 30 of them, but this one I can't digest. I mean, it literally makes me question my will to keep trying to actualize. I'll admit this will isn't strong at all since i only started a week ago, but still.

It scared the shit out of me. What do you mean there is better things in life than partying, or laughing at memes with your friends. Why,  just because those thing I like to do are demanded by my basic chimpness, why does it makes them so bad?

From what I understand from slef actualization, it's not about becoming an machine which doesn't need anything to be happy. and I can grasp that you can be simply happy, by working on your mind, on the present moment, but does this mean you need to let go of all your pleasures?
I'm guessing I'm totally confused right now 'cus I don't get self awerness and all, but still, I was supposed to sleep. Now I can't. Help. Human beeings can't live without sleep.

Btw this probably sounds confused. that's the whole point.

It's not wrong, it justs distract you from what you really want.
You're basically afraid to know the truth, the truth is frightening, hence why you distract yourself with so many things.

You won't be able to change everything in one go, but what you can do is replacing some of your hobbies with more mindful one every 2/3 months.

Right now it seems overwhelming, but only because there is so much to be done.
Don't freak out, you have years and years to realign yourself to what really matters for who you really are.

But yeah, at some point, you'll have to stop doing some of these things that made you, you ...
You'll have to accept to walk in the dark, without knowing what you'll have to do next.

tumblr_n8idnog6ql1rsyukao1_1280.jpg

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I resonated with that video too. But I think 90% of the people who watched probably thought the society is bad and so is everything in it. It's not. Remember when Leo said that everything you sense is just a perception? It's your perception of the world that's gone chimp. Why? Because both humans and chimps live on the same planet! Humans eat food, chimps also eat food. Humans have sex and chimps also have sex. Humans chase after social status and chimps also chase after status. But what makes humans fundamentally different from chimps is that we can potentially see the world in a much more complex way than chimps, whereas chimps cannot see beyond their chimpery.

Now in the 30 Ways Society Fucks You in the Ass video, Leo makes another interesting point, is that you can still enjoy whatever activity that you do, you just become more aware of the fact that there's a whole lot more to this world than the list oft things he mentioned. You don't have to abandon any of them, nor does enlightenment makes you lose interest in them. You just know there's more to this world than getting drunk and partying all night or watching your favorite football team on television while eating a whole bucket of ice cream. You still enjoy all that but just in a different way, like the cherry on top of the cake. Enlightenment should be the main part of your life and everything you enjoyed back then would be just a bonus to spice everything up.

What really is unfortunate, however, is that the society is engineered so that people don't look into themselves. That's where the distractions comes in. But that's just the nature of the world, so don't complain why we don't live on the Moon if you really hate the amount of gravity on Earth. But since everything is just a perspective, all you have to do is to flip the switch. Easier said than done though.

@Tako le poulpe Evolving conscience  will bring along changes. As Shin pointed above, human mind needs distraction to keep from facing the truth. And as Dingus mentioned, as your level of concienceness increases, your need for engaging yourself in things most of the collective ego engage in, will decrease. This work isn't about robbing you of joy, it's about exposing and transcending the very mechanism (the ego) that hijacks your understanding of what true life, joy, and freedom are all about.

Keep up the good work and stay tuned :)   

4 hours ago, Tako le poulpe said:

What do you mean there is better things in life than partying, or laughing at memes with your friends. Why,  just because those thing I like to do are demanded by my basic chimpness, why does it makes them so bad?

...does this mean you need to let go of all your pleasures?

It's a question of balance and ration I'd say. I eat very healthy in general. But once every two years I eat a bag of potato chips. Obviously that does not kill me as it is rare.

A lot of what what we as society regard as fun activities (entertainment) actually does not raise our mood. Instead when we really take a hard and honest look at how we feel while doing those, we are bored and restless.  The message that there's something better, that we can feel better, that life can have a higher quality is good news.

There's nothing to worry about. Keep doing what you've been doing. If you find Leo's videos interesting, then watch them. Maybe you want to check out some other speakers/authors (Eckhart Tolle, Ajahn Brahm...). With time your mind will process it and it will make changes automatically. You will simply lose interest in some things when the time is right for you.  

Edited by mostly harmless

@Tako le poulpe  It's just a phase you're going through. Sooner or later you're really going to get just how unsatisfying most of the things that mainstream society offers are. Your mind right now is like an obese kid who doesn't want to let go of his junk food. But ooh man. . . that's some good junk food isn't it?

Yeah society creates a lot of illusions, by far my favourite leo video. You drop off those illusions like peeling off layers of the onion

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

Thank you guys for all those things to think about. I'm going to keep processing them until I'm no longer constipated.

I think I understand the greater picture, but as @Shin said, there is so many changes to take in consideration, it's going to take time.