Damir Elezi

Advice - Should I Take A Risk And Pursue My Dream?

7 posts in this topic

I'm 19 years old and currently studying a subject called 'social sciences' at university, which does not have good carreer chances later on, but I took it anyway because it interested me. After some months of going to Uni, I don't enjoy being there at all and I have decided to change my path.

It is a dream of mine to become a rapper and I found a private academy where I could get a major in music production and theoretically work as a producer and Sound technician later on and pursue my Rap carreer while studying and later in the job. The skills I'd aquire would benefit my carreer as a rapper as Well.

The problem is that it's a private academy, and you gotta pay around 20,000 euros in total (living in Germany) to study there, which is like 200 per month. I'd have to get a part-time job AND find some additional ways to make money in order to pay all the bills. But I could also go and study another subject, like a foreign language, and become a translator or something. I know I'd also be good at it, but it wouldn't really fulfill me. On the other hand, I don't know if studying music production would fulfill me either. 

I don't know if it's worth the money, my guts tell me I Should not care too much and just take a risk. But I am scared. Scared of what might happen if it doesn't work out or if I don't like it having wasted so much money, scared of other people's reaction if I fail, scared of not being able to pay that much every month, or having to work so much that I'm too stressed to enjoy life, which would make the whole thing pointless (I am the kind of person that is stressed easily).

What would you Do in my situation? And Do you know any Way to earn money regularly without having to put much time into it? I thought about selling stuff like cars (my father is a salesman in that business) or random stuff in the internet or on markets. 

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Why being a rapper ?

For the beauty of the lyrics/the rhyms/be able to share your most intimate emotions ?

Why ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Because of the lyrics, rhyme-schemes and patterns, wordplay etc. I'm really into that and because I can express my emotions in such a strong way, happiness and grief, disappointment, and fun, I can both be silly and be serious if I want to. It gives me a lot of confidence and I simply love that type of music, especially if it has some deeper meaning to it. I love how you can put much more lyrics into it than in any other musical style, and because the vocals don't have to be melodic, you don't even gotta have that much of a nice voice, you can scream and use different vocal tones, different accents, rap slow or extremely fast, sample almost every musical style..... I just love it. I love writing and I love music and it's like rap is the perfect combination of those two.
Sometimes I literally spend 10 hours a day writing, recording and mixing without eating or anything, and I don't get tired or too exhausted. I also had some smaller live gigs and those were some of the greatest experiences of my life. 

Then do it, whatever the cost.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

It seems you're quite confident of your choice, so I'll add up some advice for you.

Well, Study the Lives of the people top in your industry(i.e Rapping for you). How did they begin their career? Did they have a formal education? Or Did they learn on their own? What sacrifices did they make? Did they find the right balance between their work and life? If Yes, How? 

Study deeply your idols. Learn from them. Research thoroughly about the whole process and the future of your career viz. the path.  It will turn out to be a great inspiration as you learn more and more. And do check twice if you're investing the money in a right way for doing a thing(i.e Rapping in your case).

Good Luck!

@Damir Elezi  My life purpose is music related. All I'm telling you comes from direct experience.

Everything aside from work towards becoming a rapper is a distraction.

Going to a private school for music producing is a waste of time, energy and money (no one is going to ask for your certificate, they will only be interested in how skilled you are; there are great music producing courses for a fraction of the price). Same for the foreign language thing (this will just make you miserable and won't give you a flexible enough route to work towards your life purpose).

I suggest you do what I did (keep in mind that I was a finalist for a Scholarship to study at the best conservatory in the UK).

Drop formal education and GET A GODDAMN MENTOR. Find someone that is where you want to be (who is 10-20 years) ahead of you and ask them to put you on a step by step process to get where you want to be (even if you have to pay them, it will be a ton less than formal education). Meanwhile, get a part time job or a full time job and make rapping a side hustle for a while. Work towards transitioning to being a full time rapper and you are set.

If you want to chat in detail hit me a DM and I'll talk with you tomorrow.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard