LRyan

Can You Consider That Our Purpose In Coming To This Plane Was To Suffer

27 posts in this topic

So how many people on the earth are not suffering?  Probably 0.  So why is it so far fetched to say that we came here to experience suffering?  I'm still not convinced.  The more I learn, the less I know.  Just seems to be more questions than answers the deeper you dig.  Trying to understand what is not possible to know.

I appreciate all the points of views expressed and I can actually agree with most if not all because, we just do not have the answers, so suffering will happen and we cannot deny suffering....not for long.

Looks to me like we came here to know what suffering feels like and then to experience how to overcome it and come to a place of peace while in human form.  Wouldn't that be the greatest challenge for a soul?

Examine what you believe to be impossible, and then change your beliefs.

1 hour ago, LRyan said:

So how many people on the earth are not suffering?  Probably 0.

There are few who's life is a celebration. There are only two kinds of people in the world says Sadhguru, mystics and mistakes.

When renowned Indian classical dancer, Mrinalini Sarabhai, died at the age of 97 on 21 January 2016, her equally renowned daughter, Malika Sarabhai, burst into a spontaneous dance to offer her mother an appropriate farewell.

CZUPm7VWQAAZE2e.jpg

Even death is celebrated in many cultures.

It is as @Leo Gura said, suffering is nothing more than your check engine light. To help you survive.

In this way, suffering is caused directly by evolution. Physical suffering is obvious, fire burns, get your hand out of it.
Social/emotional suffering teaches you how to behave in a group, increasing your chances of living long enough to spread your DNA. Everything that is effective in helping us survive, will happily be selected during millions of years of evolution. The end result is many neurotic, unhappy, human beings, that somehow are still able to exist together and create offspring.

Evolution does not select for happiness at all. Evolution has only one single criteria: "does the organism survive long enough to allow its DNA to spread into the future". Everything that helps with this is an evolutionary benefit, and causes that "trait" to survive in the population. Everything that is a negative get's fewer chances to survive in the population. Evolution selects for anything that "works"...
Worrying what other people think, must be beneficial for survival, because we all do it to some extent...

Some mechanisms on how suffering works and begins from a scientific perspective. Because often enlightenment and scientific understanding are complementary. Remember, what is enlightened is not you as a self, so there is no contradiction between psychology and spirituality here.

Perhaps we are here to discover what is true about our self, and to express that truth for others to witness. To help others to be the same - a true person.

In that truth we may find that suffering is only a story about not handling pain. Without that story, pain may simply be a sensation. A sensation for the purpose of letting us know that there is a need for a change.