mikey_mac

Lasting Impact Or A Life Of Interests

7 posts in this topic

Need help thinking through somethings. I'm contemplating which matters more: lasting impact in other people's lives or living a life of my interests (with minimal/no lasting impact)

I think I want to help the world because I want to be liked. Will I have a better life if I focus on my interests and spend time doing enjoyable things.

Part of me could not stand the thought of me doing frivolous things like making music or building with legos, then the other part totally envy's people that do what they love.

I think I really want to do something that has a relevant lasting impact, but then in the end it doesn't really matter. No one will remember you and the impact may get washed away in the sea of time after a few years. Think of all of the people that fought and died for our freedoms and all the gov't has to say is WMD and terrorist and we let them take it away.

Thinking about it....I think I want to change/impact the external world, so I don't have to change internally.

Anyone have any thoughts or is struggling with this?

Edited by mikey_mac

Today....I don't know. Regret is scaring the s*** out of me. I feel like I've been doing a bunch of things and not much to show from it.  Not sure if I do things from me or for other people to gain approval and such. 

On 4/24/2017 at 10:33 AM, mikey_mac said:

Need help thinking through somethings. I'm contemplating which matters more: lasting impact in other people's lives or living a life of my interests (with minimal/no lasting impact)

I think I want to help the world because I want to be liked. Will I have a better life if I focus on my interests and spend time doing enjoyable things.

Part of me could not stand the thought of me doing frivolous things like making music or building with legos, then the other part totally envy's people that do what they love.

I think I really want to do something that has a relevant lasting impact, but then in the end it doesn't really matter. No one will remember you and the impact may get washed away in the sea of time after a few years. Think of all of the people that fought and died for our freedoms and all the gov't has to say is WMD and terrorist and we let them take it away.

Thinking about it....I think I want to change/impact the external world, so I don't have to change internally.

Anyone have any thoughts or is struggling with this?

You're turning Life Purpose into a dilemma when it doesn't have to be.

What if you could have your cake and eat it too? What if you could do what interests you AND make lasting impact?

I've heard stories of music literally saving people's lives. Is that not a lasting impact?

That lego sculpture guy has moved people with his work. Is that not a lasting impact?

Get the idea out of your head that these things are inherently frivolous. Frivolousness is only defined by our priorities. If you value making music or building with legos, it sure as hell ain't frivolous to you. Of course, the opposite is also true. If you don't value corporate work and have a corporate job, then that job would be considered frivolous to you.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

Be truthful and loving. It benefits everybody including yourself. It is the ultimate fulfillment for all.

And all you have to do is nothing from your ego-self.

12 hours ago, mikey_mac said:

Today....I don't know. Regret is scaring the s*** out of me. I feel like I've been doing a bunch of things and not much to show from it.  Not sure if I do things from me or for other people to gain approval and such. 

Present moment is all you ever have. Regrets can happen only if you are going to, in the present, start deriving your sense of identity from past. When I am  on my death bed, I will not be thinking about what happened in my life, I would be enjoying the present moment experience and regrets would not be allowed a soil to grow in.

What I mean is, forget about that fear of regret, it's bullshit. Just surrender to the course of life, be and enjoy every step of your journey!!!

Edited by Dodoster

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

I've often wondered, do rap stars or famous actors regret their current situation, wishing they had chosen to do something they had natural strength in, such as science or engineering? 

Probably not.