LifeandDeath

Is Non-duality Amoral?

26 posts in this topic

@zazed  I don't identify as "non-dual".

In the manifest reality there are lots and lots of patterns, some of duality, some of trinity, some of singularity, some of infinity, some in variety.

In the manifest reality there is many different patterns but consciousness transcends the manifest and unmanifest reality.

Some might leap up and say, but SOUL, isn't that a duality with the manifest and unmanifest? Hehe...

Duality is a concept of two parts often in opposition and the separate mindset will believe it as divided into two different parts.

Except the manifest is a part of the unmanifest, not apart from the unmanifest, it's a whole.

It would be like our head thinking it's exists apart from the whole body it is a part of, without the rest of the body the head isn't thinking it's anything.

Another way to illustrate it is the yin yang symbol, everyone usually focuses on the two different halves but few recognize it's a whole unto itself that neither of the parts are by themselves.

That's what the one who sees beyond the parts does to recognize the whole, it's dissolves being apart in mind to instead perceive the whole.

Which is why we do consciousness work to perceive through any dividing lines in our minds, our consciousness is both, it's whole not just in parts.

I'm not an advisor on how to live, I don't claim any authority or expertise in anything. I simply am being as consciously as I can.

Edited by SOUL

14 minutes ago, LifeandDeath said:

I can't help but pick up the notion that amorality and it's link to reality could very well be an ego-position just as much as (morality)

It very well can be if someone has that concept as a belief which they identify with.

Which is why I don't identify as such, it isn't a belief in something, it's the absence of a belief in something.

9 hours ago, Dingus said:

Take a closer look at your morality as described above, you'll see that it's still really all about your own (ego) preferences, nothing else.

Alright I'll take a look.

I've enjoyed this discussion with you :)

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread so far. 

@SOUL I think the big ticket word that you used and that was also standing out to me as we are all contributing our views on this subject is "identification" 

I think if we don't identify with 'right vs wrong' or 'dualism vs non-duality', or 'beliefs vs being', then we have no position.  

It seems to be the clinging to one's ideas, beliefs, stance, or a particular aspect of reality is the main culprit that prevents radical acceptance to how things are, no matter how enlightened one is. Naturally an enlightened person won't attach themselves to any belief, perspective or morality.

@Dingus Thanks so much for putting in the time to deeply discuss these ideas. It's added more of an elaborate view that I now have of non-dualism and it's relationship to morality. Your post's have moved me forward in leaps and bounds since I first wrote the initial question, as your last post is demonstrating that morality is an intricate subtle topic, especially when it starts getting to the higher levels of consciousness. I've read the link you provided: https://theawarenesseffect.wordpress.com/free-e-book/ and it's a clear summary of becoming less ego oriented and more mindful of one's being. A neat summary. We need more people being authentic in tune with the true nature of being. 

@LifeandDeath Yes, the use of labels in duality creates identity in the mind and with morality there's a sense judgement in it, the good and evil paradigm is especially self glorifying and demonizing those that disagree. It's not just the difference between a right and wrong idea, it's divine blasphemy to be in err while anointing themselves arbiter. of it.

Once we transcend labeling do we need to call compassion something other than what it is to know what it is? Is abusive behavior any less what it is because there's no overarching moral decree? It's the ultimate comparative duality that the ego uses to anoint itself in justification while simultaneously discredits any that differ.

Duality can be problematic hindrance to the individual in the more tempered contrasts but morality takes it to another level in emotional response baggage altogether. That how some will wind up being abusive to others thinking they are themselves delivering justice in doing so while on the other hand their own abusive behavior justifies themselves under some moral authority.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, Bodhi123 said:

Alright I'll take a look.

So I took a look and I still firmly believe that aligning your actions with your Higher-Self is important.

I would go as far as to say that aligning your actions with your Higher-Self is one of the few things that actually matters in this life.

To put all importance on self-realization and completely disregard integrity is a disastrous error that will ultimately become a barrier to self-realization.