el_duderino

Enlightenment/truth Vs Lucid Dreaming

9 posts in this topic

hey guys,

I've been researching lucid dreaming for about 2 weeks now and it seems to be a very interesting topic. (and I also had one short lucid dream :) )

but I haven't found much about the correlation between lucid dreaming and nonduality/spiritual growth.

can lucid dreaming be used in order to grow spiritually (spiritual purification) ?

does lucid dreaming bring me closer to awakening?

is it worth it to put a huge investment of time and energy in working on lucid dreaming when my "real" aim is truth/enlightenment? or should I rather put more time in self-inquiry/meditation/mindfulness/etc...

has anybody experience with this? or thoughts on combining spiritual purification and lucid dreaming?

When you do lucid dreaming, do you realize that you have the same awareness/consciousness as in "real life" ?

In the "dream", does everyone appear to be separate from you, or everything seems to be merging into one big experience ?

What makes you think the life you're living now is more real than a dream ?

Because it last longer ?

Because it is more consistent ?

Because there is no (apparent) magic ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

2 minutes ago, Shin said:

When you do lucid dreaming, do you realize that you have the same awareness/consciousness as in "real life" ?

the short time I was lucid it felt like "real life".

I perceive others as separate.

6 minutes ago, Shin said:

So, what makes you think the life you're living now is more real than a dream ?

Because it last longer ?

Because it is more consistent ?

Because there is no (apparent) magic ?

obviously a difference is that I'm not naturally lucid in my dreams.

41 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

is it worth it to put a huge investment of time and energy in working on lucid dreaming when my "real" aim is truth/enlightenment?

I recommend you first get really serious about Truth in real life and then start working on lucid dreaming.

45 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

can lucid dreaming be used in order to grow spiritually (spiritual purification) ?

From what I've heard, yes. Here's Shinzen Young talking about Lucid dreaming and "Five Ways" mindfulness meditation.

[insert quote here]

I think lucid dreaming happens when you begin to get not attached to the "body" concept.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

2 hours ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

hey guys,

I've been researching lucid dreaming for about 2 weeks now and it seems to be a very interesting topic. (and I also had one short lucid dream :) )

but I haven't found much about the correlation between lucid dreaming and nonduality/spiritual growth.

does lucid dreaming bring me closer to awakening?

is it worth it to put a huge investment of time and energy in working on lucid dreaming when my "real" aim is truth/enlightenment? or should I rather put more time in self-inquiry/meditation/mindfulness/etc...

has anybody experience with this? or thoughts on combining spiritual purification and lucid dreaming?

Have you read any Charlie Morley? He opened me up to lucid dreaming long ago with one of his books and I've been meaning to (unsuccessfully) return to the practise. 

I learned from his book many different ways to reach lucid dreaming and after just a week practise I managed to get in. Then I just stopped after a couple, but I wish to return as I said earlier. 

Also from Charlie's book I've learnt that if you are able to in a dream sit down and meditate, it will be like many many times stronger than meditation in waking state. Btw, maybe forgot to mention, his book is exactly about what you ask Spirituality and Lucid dreaming! The two are connected, simply because it seems to me to be beneficial to be able to experience another state of consciousness and contemplate on who you truly are.

So anyway, I haven't been able to sit down and meditate in a lucid dream yet, because I always gosh darnit, always begin to fly!! (Well not always, in one of them I decided to smoke a bong and see what happens xD - surprise surprise, I lost lucidity) I did meditate once in a normal dream though, on top of a tree, was kinda epic :D

So yeah, combine!!!! Combine for sure. When your lucid dreams become better and clearer, it will be like an extension to your day, you will have more opportunity to practise than unconscious sleepers.

PS: Once I had a lucid dream in which the content was entirely a tablet screen with a words written on it, a book. I realised it was a dream because I was trying to read and every time I moved my eyes, the text changed and also the text was unintelligible, it was super weird and awesome!! I was just this eye movement only, observing the text from left to right and right to left knowing I was in a lucid dream xD but only having the function of watching the text

Edited by Dodoster

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

I've enjoyed a lucid dream here and there. The last one was within a year ago. When I became lucid ("Holy crap, I'm dreaming this!") I dipped my toe into the water and as I had mentioned in another post; it was the coldest, wettest water I had ever felt. Completely convincing and real. 

So, regarding lucid dreaming and spirituality - if you just transfer that level of realism of experience back one step, to 'waking' consciousness, the implications are as fascinating as they are scary. The good kind of scary.

59 minutes ago, Dodoster said:

Have you read any Charlie Morley? He opened me up to lucid dreaming long ago with one of his books and I've been meaning to (unsuccessfully) return to the practise. 

I learned from his book many different ways to reach lucid dreaming and after just a week practise I managed to get in. Then I just stopped after a couple, but I wish to return as I said earlier. 

Also from Charlie's book I've learnt that if you are able to in a dream sit down and meditate, it will be like many many times stronger than meditation in waking state. Btw, maybe forgot to mention, his book is exactly about what you ask Spirituality and Lucid dreaming! The two are connected, simply because it seems to me to be beneficial to be able to experience another state of consciousness and contemplate on who you truly are.

So anyway, I haven't been able to sit down and meditate in a lucid dream yet, because I always gosh darnit, always begin to fly!! (Well not always, in one of them I decided to smoke a bong and see what happens xD - surprise surprise, I lost lucidity) I did meditate once in a normal dream though, on top of a tree, was kinda epic :D

So yeah, combine!!!! Combine for sure. When your lucid dreams become better and clearer, it will be like an extension to your day, you will have more opportunity to practise than unconscious sleepers.

PS: Once I had a lucid dream in which the content was entirely a tablet screen with a words written on it, a book. I realised it was a dream because I was trying to read and every time I moved my eyes, the text changed and also the text was unintelligible, it was super weird and awesome!! I was just this eye movement only, observing the text from left to right and right to left knowing I was in a lucid dream xD but only having the function of watching the text

hahaha :D 

thanks, I'll check it out.