Yellow

Software For Comprehensive Note Taking

6 posts in this topic

Currently I'm using Scrivener for taking notes from books. Does anyone have a better solution?
Some books are hundreds of pages with a lot of information, so I need a software that have good support for comprehensive notes. It should also have easy access to my whole collection of notes, and not only the one I'm working on. Open sourche software is of course the best if possible.

What I'm looking for in a note taking software is:
- Notes is stored locally on my PC.
- Compatible with Windows and preferably also Linux.
- Can write comprehensive notes. (long texts, pictures, some basic text formating).

Edited by Yellow

On 4/20/2017 at 4:02 AM, sweatergoat said:

Im looking for something like that too. I use onenote but i dont like it that much anymore. I want something more simple. Something where i could download my text onto a usb.

But this is how im doing things at the moment. 

Capture.PNG

Which software/application is this. 

Is this word/excel.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Yellow Do you think Microsoft word can help. I tried it but it didn't help me so much. 

3 minutes ago, sweatergoat said:

@Loreena its onenote for windows 10. 

How can i get microsoft word. i just thought of something i could do to be more organized while at the same time being able to download my stuff.

You have the feature called Microsoft 365 online 

There is another Microsoft One Drive. This is for basic plan. 

I have a monthly rental plan for Microsoft office. This is 9 dollars a month. 

Another software is Evernote with elephant trademark symbol. Its good and free for basic users. However if you want to have premium account, you might have to pay. 

Another is Zoho sheets on Zoho.com .. I'll try to find to find out more. And include more info on this thread again. 

You also try finding more options online and if you get, then write them here. 

I'm not really looking for the cloud based alternatives. I wan't something that is only stored locally on my computer so that I can choose which cloud service I am going to use my self.

For cloud storage I would rather use something like SpiderOak who actually takes privacy and security seriously.

8 hours ago, Loreena said:

@Yellow Do you think Microsoft word can help. I tried it but it didn't help me so much. 

For the office programs I use OpenOffice (or LibreOffice which is basically the same). It's open-source so you can download and use the full version for free. But those types of programs feels a bit clynky for note taking.

Edited by Yellow