Sparkie

New Entrepreneurship Ideas/how To Quit Your 9 To 5

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the world of self-actualization. I started watching Leo's videos like crack because they resonated very deeply with me. I seek to eventually free myself of all work so that I can live my life without obligations to any company. Tomorrow I quit my 9 to 5, no two weeks. The goal of this topic, for me at least, is to gather ideas from people who have much greater experience than I do at working on their own, or creating passive income. Right now, I work at an electrical company as an electrician's apprentice and for a food delivery service similar to postmates, uber eats, grub hub, etc... I plan on dropping the electrical job and focusing entirely on food delivery, which is only 4 hours a day, but is paid based on how many deliveries you complete vs. how many hours you work. So I personally believe that's a good move from a 9 to 5, you get to work on your own, which will give you time to think without social influence, it's based on the amount of work you complete instead of the length of time you work, and last but not least, I'll cut the amount of time I work in half. But.... This won't work in the long run. I'm 20 years old, the only bills I have are my car, rent, insurance, phone, groceries, gas. That's it. I'm making this move to take time so I can find my life purpose. My family thinks I'm nuts, and they're pissed. Cause I was on such a good path at becoming a journeyman electrician, but I know that's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I believe it's important to find your life purpose first, rather than second. So I would appreciate any ideas you have for creating passive income, making active income on your own, and generally any other ideas that could benefit a new entrepreneur such as myself. This will help not only me, but anyone that passes along this topic and is in my position. Thanks! Can't wait for the responses.

Edited by Sparkie
Typo

I like your style, you've taken a bold jump into the dark and you're being single minded which is good. I'm 21 so can resonate with how you're feeling.

Passive income is very achievable in modern society so I wouldn't worry too much about the logistics for now, think big picture. I think for a start you should think about what you would ideally be doing for a living if possible, and what you're best at, what skills and personality traits are unique to you. How would the career you choose be so much better than being an electrician, and so on.

For example, I did very well at school particularly in maths, so I teach maths part time to kids outside of university time and I really enjoy it. This is something rather unique to me. There will be something similarly unique for you too which you enjoy, even if it's not as obvious as the job you currently have. That thing is your starting point - start to question and try to understand why you enjoy, how you could make a life purpose around it, etc. Start writing your ideas down for future self-employed, creative careers no matter how nuts they may seem to your rational mind.

I'd recommend checking out Leo's life purpose course too.

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

First thing first, you have Guts, i like that you want to build the life of your own, at your terms.

I would suggest that you continue to focus on food delivery for now, because you need to pay for rent and other bills.

but must always keep in mind that delivering food is transitional job, is gonna help you to take you from where you are to your main Goal.

As you said is gonna be like 4hrs a day, you will have enough time to build what ever you want to build, after delivering those food.

To create passive income is a good way to create financial freedom, there are lots of opportunities out ther , all you have to do is to decide which way you wanna follow.

Once you decide that, nothing is going to stop you from getting to your goals, the other quickest way to get to where you want is to model somebody.

Find someone who is already doing what you want to do and learn from them.

Some times it might take time to find what really works for you, but don't stop just keep trying,  till you find it.

The more you try, the quicker you will find what works for you.

@RossE @Tendani Thanks, the first thing I'm noticing is how easy it is to lose motivation with this. When you have a mindnumbing job, no one telling you what to do, it gets pretty easy to lose motivation and fall into a slump. It's certainly given me a lot more time, but one thing that I've observed is that you want all this freedom and time when you are in a 9 to 5, but when you finally get it, it's almost like you don't know what to do with it or you get lazy. Because you've lived with a structure and are managed, so when you finally have that control over yourself, with no accountability as far as your personal development goes, you fall into a slump. Creating a schedule is a good way to help. As far as Leo's life purpose course, I really want to purchase it. Problem is.... it costs $250 lol. I'll have to save up for it, I've read that it contains some pretty valuable material. 

Do either of you have any suggestions on different ways to create passive income that you have tried and accomplished/failed at in the past?

@Sparkie woow. You are soo brave. But normally what i would do is continue working on what i have right now and save money. So when i wanna pursue what i want, i have a good head start.  I'd also want to be determine but smart. Like if you are not sure what your next move is, expirement first on you think will work without actually quiting your job. Butttttt, thats just my opinion. Wish you luck ❤

@Beau  That would have been the safest way to do it. There is that whole "Burn the boats" philosophy though. If you put yourself in a spot where you have no choice but to succeed, chances are that you will succeed and so far, it's working. But I think it's best to keep your eyes open and secure other job opportunities so that if one doesn't work, oh well.

Practically speaking for entrepreneurship ideas i do Amazon fba which is pretty good. Not sure where youre based but there are a lot of different strategies, one that might suit you for example is going to charity shops and scanning books to see if you can make profit on Amazon. (i know it sounds low level but theres people making a lot from it). You can also buy wholesale, do arbs, loads of options.

Ive also sold on ebay which is ok but youd need to look at strategies specific to ebay. 

Point is there are definitelyly ways to make money, i wouldnt say passively, but at least on your own terms. Its really just about learning the strategy and then taking action. If it works great if it doesnt learn where you went wrong, rinse and repeat. Good luck whatever you do 

On 18/04/2017 at 10:05 AM, Sparkie said:

New Entrepreneurship Ideas/how To Quit Your 9 To 5

I quit 9 to 5, 15 years ago.  Since then I've been working for myself, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Personally I'd love a break from entrepreneurship responsibility.

1 hour ago, jse said:

I quit 9 to 5, 15 years ago.  Since then I've been working for myself, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Personally I'd love a break from entrepreneurship responsibility.

José!  There is a lot more to life than working yourself to death, no?  B|