Juan

Why TikTok Should or Shouldn’t be Banned?

84 posts in this topic

@mmKay The problem is that it works so well on retention, that the videos just perform better.

It's not the case 100% of the time, and it has its drawbacks, but as of today's social media metrics such as viewer retention, it just works. It's unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

  1. Yeah shorts are trashy, but that's where the money is at, because more people's attention is there.
  2. And if the money is there, then more people are going to make content on those platforms.
  3. And if more people make content, the competition drives the content to be better and better.
  4. And if the content is better, the platform becomes more popular, and the cycle continues (until people get hurt enough that they leave)

This really looks like the problem of marketing high consciousness stuff you talked about, Leo.

At the same time, like @Juan said, it can be a huge opportunity for creators. (a quesiton for you though @Juan, why not creating on other platforms? is it because of the algorithm that works so well?)
But even if that's the case (huge opportunity), it is true that not all social media is the same. I haven't experienced the "TikTok effect" on other social media.

And it's also true that creators have other platforms to grow, it's not like without TikTok they're done (although some will suffer more than others).

And finally, Leo was right in saying content on TikTok pretty much adds no value to one's life. Total waste of time. I could say the same for Instagram, but it's true that it's not as addictive (and retarded).

 

Conclusion: it's fucking complex and I don't know enough about policing and its consequences to make a judgment

Edited by The Renaissance Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Juan TikTok might not exist in the future due to political reasons causing it's demise. You can migrate your content to a private website or by working as a collaborator with some artist or private company. TikTok or even X or YouTube shorts are highly unreliable for that matter. 

 


You should seek to transcend the limitations of the ego and the mind in order to experience a sense of unity with the universe or ultimate reality. You can do meditation,sef inquiry and contemplating for that. To recognize the underlying oneness that is believed to exist beyond the realm of dualistic perception.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Practically, TikTok is not getting banned. It will just be sold to a US company. So your trashy feed of meme crack will still be around as always.


You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

I don't know where to begin but TikTok is pure poison. Avoid at all costs. 

 

Tiktok by itself is not poison, it's you who decide how you will use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Juan

9 hours ago, Juan said:

@Leo Gura Fair enough

   It's not just fair enough because @Leo Gura don't agree with your addictive substance taking, Tik Tok is mostly bad! It's exactly like soda drinks giving more and more people high blood pressure and high sugar levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TikTok is so addictive. It is crack for the spirit. I only watch 5 channels and don’t even watch the for you page but those clever bastards designed the app in such a way that you open up for you page after you click on the app icon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@StarStruck

27 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

TikTok is so addictive. It is crack for the spirit. I only watch 5 channels and don’t even watch the for you page but those clever bastards designed the app in such a way that you open up for you page after you click on the app icon. 

   True, they're manipulative snakes! Also a case could be made against podcasts as well, albeit less toxic but my god such a time sink for viewers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The market is so big that even if Tik-tok was banned wholesale, Facebook or some other company would fill in that gaping void with their version of Tik-tok. But it would be easier just to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Basman

11 minutes ago, Basman said:

The market is so big that even if Tik-tok was banned wholesale, Facebook or some other company would fill in that gaping void with their version of Tik-tok. But it would be easier just to buy it.

   If banning or upping regulation is harder against Tik Tok, is the only option now just to ignore Tik Tok and boycott it even?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty stoked on it myself ... if i can't nail my point in 30 seconds (TT) or 200 chars (X), i've no business being a teacher or a marketer

god is supreme simplicity else it's a idol and i'm back to the drawing board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@The Renaissance Man You bring some good points. 

7 hours ago, The Renaissance Man said:

(a quesiton for you though @Juan, why not creating on other platforms? is it because of the algorithm that works so well?)

Yes I post in youtube, instagram, facebook and sometimes at twitter at the same time. So far TikTok has gave me the best results in terms of growing up as a newcomer and reach new people every time you post. My best scenario would be grow on youtube and I had also good feedback there but it has taken lots time to grow compared to the other socials. I even invested money in promotions and TikTok has given me the best results. 
 

7 hours ago, The Renaissance Man said:

And finally, Leo was right in saying content on TikTok pretty much adds no value to one's life. Total waste of time. I could say the same for Instagram, but it's true that it's not as addictive (and retarded).

That’s relative, at least on the content creator side (which is the type of people I follow) then it adds LOTS of value, even like a quick tip of something, cuz not everyone has the time to sit for a long time youtube video, so shorts comes handy in all platforms. I know you guys point of addictiveness, but not ALL shorts are bad, hell even when informing something SOS about a country it comes helpful to grab people’s attention. 

Edited by Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like this ban would benefit VPN companies greatly 


"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The subtle invasive influence China exerts over Western audiences is troublesome. There is already far too much of an authoritarian shift worldwide into the current global crises. I will be happier if it's purchased by a company with Western interests; then we get our own bias reinforced, and the status quo maintained in our own countries.

On a more general note, as has been indicated, the medium of short videos is crippling people's focus. The ability to focus on single tasks for any length of time becomes harder if you are dividing your attention so much. I would rather the whole concept be trashed, but people like their junk food videos, until enough education is given to them on why they are harmful (by suffering life experience) they won't realize it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, mojsterr said:

Tiktok by itself is not poison, it's you who decide how you will use it. 

Exactly my point. :D But to be fair they have a point on the addictive side of shorts overall. 

5 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

It's not just fair enough because @Leo Gura don't agree with your addictive substance taking, Tik Tok is mostly bad! It's exactly like soda drinks giving more and more people high blood pressure and high sugar levels.

Leo does brings a fair point enough, don’t over complicate what it’s been said. I might not agree with all what he says but I’ll give him the credit of fair points. Again you can upload on TikTok up to 10 minutes, still it might not do as well as the shorter ones and even 10min to explain something it’s just not possible for certain subjects. 

Edited by Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BlueOak

30 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

The subtle invasive influence China exerts over Western audiences is troublesome. There is already far too much of an authoritarian shift worldwide into the current global crises. I will be happier if it's purchased by a company with Western interests; then we get our own bias reinforced, and the status quo maintained in our own countries.

On a more general note, as has been indicated, the medium of short videos is crippling people's focus. The ability to focus on single tasks for any length of time becomes harder if you are dividing your attention so much. I would rather the whole concept be trashed, but people like their junk food videos, until enough education is given to them on why they are harmful (by suffering life experience) they won't realize it.

   TRUE! Ideally Tik Tok be burned down and banned, or highly regulated for the citizen's minds, or just boycotted.Tik Tok is mass raping people's minds by the second at this rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Juan

43 minutes ago, Juan said:

@The Renaissance Man You bring some good points. 

Yes I post in youtube, instagram, facebook and sometimes at twitter at the same time. So far TikTok has gave me the best results in terms of growing up as a newcomer and reach new people every time you post. My best scenario would be grow on youtube and I had also good feedback there but it has taken lots time to grow compared to the other socials. I even invested money in promotions and TikTok has given me the best results. 
 

That’s relative, at least on the content creator side (which is the type of people I follow) then it adds LOTS of value, even like a quick tip of something, cuz not everyone has the time to sit for a long time youtube video, so shorts comes handy in all platforms. I know you guys point of addictiveness, but not ALL shorts are bad, hell even when informing something SOS about a country it comes helpful to grab people’s attention. 

   So because of your limited positive experiences of Tik Tok you're advocating others to try Tik Tok?

   It's not that all shorts are bad, or addictiveness, or that not everyone has the time for a long format video which they can make the time, it's that you're cherry picking Tik Tok and giving us a pretty distorted account of Tik Tok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

So because of your limited positive experiences of Tik Tok you're advocating others to try Tik Tok?

What does “limited positive experience” means to you? It’s a weird framing question, do you mean 1 week, a month,  a year, X time using a platform? I’m not advocating anything, I’m just speaking from my experience, I can understand if other people don’t like it, I don’t expect everyone to like pizza. But for sure if you have a biz or creative endeavor, it could go very well. 

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

   It's not that all shorts are bad, or addictiveness, or that not everyone has the time for a long format video which they can make the time, it's that you're cherry picking Tik Tok

What I’m cherry picking? I gave a couple of examples that can be useful. I can said the same for you cuz you are cherry picking what’s bad only, cuz it’s like soda and all that talk. I’m aware that the platform can improve, so does other socials.

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

and giving us a pretty distorted account of Tik Tok.

What do you mean? I’ve been over a year already there, I’m agreeing with some of your points guys, again don’t over complicate what it’s been said. 

Edited by Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Juan

4 minutes ago, Juan said:

What does “limited positive experience” means to you? It’s a weird framing question, do you mean 1 week, a month,  a year, X time using a platform? I’m not advocating anything, I’m just speaking from my experience, I can understand if other people don’t like it, I don’t expect everyone to like pizza. But for sure if you have a biz or creative endeavor, it could go very well. 

What I’m cherry picking? I gave a couple of examples that can be useful. I can said the same for you cuz you are cherry picking what’s bad only, cuz it’s like soda and all that talk. I’m aware that the platform can improve, so does other socials.

What do you mean? I’ve been over a year already there, I’m agreeing with some of your point guys, again don’t over complicate what it’s been said. 

   Do you not at least admit that in this topic you're biased to Tik Tok right?

   Also if you been 1 year using and making tik toks, and the average tik tok is like 1-2 minutes long, for about 4-10 hours work time per day...that's 60-30 clips an hour, 240-130 clips a day, and a total of about 73,000 - 36,500 clips per year you make and view. I have demonstrated the mathematical value of your social media addiction, do you not admit you need some help? Also if we factor the first month of Tik Tok, 1/3 of that total is sexy stuff so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

I have demonstrated the mathematical value of your social media addiction, do you not admit you need some help?

Huh? You don’t obviously know how much I spend in my apps and if I use them at all. You’re making this thread more about me than the actual subject, remember what the mods and even Leo told you. 

If we are gonna talk about factual numbers, let’s not talk with how many posts you’ve made on this forum on 5 years since you started. 5 years are 1,825 days, you’ve made around 11,415 posts so, you do the math how many posts is that per day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now