Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saarah

How To Live While Having No Life Purpose/enlightenment

17 posts in this topic

So... Life purpose is something which gives you the motivation to wake up and work and Enlightenment is the ultimate route to happiness and getting out of this ego trap world, it might even obliterate your life purpose goals

But at the moment and for quite some years I will have neither of these things, and all this week I've been feeling the pointlessness of everything, all the plastic of the world that I'm working towards like money and lifestyle and relationships, I got worried at a couple points that I was going to give up on life altogether because nothing makes sense anymore to live for (not in a depressed suicidal way), but I do want to live life... Just how do I muster up the will to wake up and do stuff when the stuff feels pointless? 

I keep postponing plans to go out and do things, I skip a few uni classes, I can't be bothered going over to cousins when they invite me, didn't do any uni work this week etc. 

But I want to maintain focus and motivation for living, even though it's currently a life without life purpose and/or enlightenment 

I'm trying to 'be' a bit more, mindfulness wise, I sort of feel better today as a result, so should I give myself lots of space for doing nothing, solitude, meditation and mindfulness to connect with the world again? Will emptying my mind be the best way? 

Yeah meditation works awesome. Just make your purpose to get your lifestyle together for now, keep the promises you make to yourself. 

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P

@Saarah Get out of your comfort zone and start to comfort others... 9_9 

You know what you`ll going to get out of it?

Joy!

You shouldn't be looking at life purpose as something that gives you motivation. Enlightenment tells us that there is no 'you'. Life purpose is simply living a life that is completely congruent with your values and what makes you happy in the moment with no further ulterior motives.

happiness.jpg

Why are you going to uni if it doesn't inspire or motivate you?

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

19 hours ago, Bittu said:

Yeah meditation works awesome. Just make your purpose to get your lifestyle together for now, keep the promises you make to yourself. 

Yeah I kind of got too lost in terms of what my lifestyle is supposed to be and how pointless everyday lifestyle feels, like whenever I'm in public I just look around at what people are doing and it feels like they're doing nothing even if it looks like something, I'm trying to get with the nothingness of all this somethingness 

There was this funny quote where someone asks something along the lines of "master, what changes after enlightenment?" and the enlightened guy replies "nothing much, you still have to do the laundry" but then I was watching Leo's video of the benefits of enlightenment and it started to feel like no there's actually more than this life right now 

18 hours ago, Neill said:

You shouldn't be looking at life purpose as something that gives you motivation. Enlightenment tells us that there is no 'you'. Life purpose is simply living a life that is completely congruent with your values and what makes you happy in the moment with no further ulterior motives.

happiness.jpg

I think the values thing is really key there, thanks! In that week I had gotten into watching rubbish reality tv of rich people who are drama queens and socialites, a very different idea than what I value about life, I got lost in their lifestyles that I forgot about what I want from life instead and so I begun to feel that I wanted nothing and there was nothing to want

But I feel better now I meditated yesterday after ages and need to start letting my mind race without running with it

time to get into harmony! 

14 hours ago, JevinR said:

Sounds like you might be depressed :/

No I'm honestly not lol! 

It lasted like a week and I'm feeling normal now, I think mental health issues are completely within our own hands, sometimes I feel vulnerable to it especially cos I have a family member with it but having an interest in personal development, being aware and taking perspective builds a resilience to that kind of thing, I think a lot of people jump on the depression bandwagon all too quickly when diagnosing others or themselves 

16 hours ago, vizual said:

Why are you going to uni if it doesn't inspire or motivate you?

It wasn't uni that was the issue it was life in its entirety, simple things like why do we learn stuff and do jobs and go out to eat on a weekend, it all feels like the majority of people do the same basic things in a cycle where decades later they're still in the same place in life

I enjoy my subject at uni and the autonomy and need a degree anyway, there's only so much the current system of academia can inspire you, and we have to work in the systems placed upon us to get out of them sometimes or to move on to better things 

19 hours ago, Henri said:

@Saarah Get out of your comfort zone and start to comfort others... 9_9 

You know what you`ll going to get out of it?

Joy!

Yeah I should probably try that, I think I saw that as novelty seeking and at the time I was thinking what's the point of pushing boundaries when all the boundaries seem pointless to move, and social interaction felt pointless too but now I feel less like that I can start taking action

18 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I don't agree with this. Great enlightened master always say truth is something you do not want to hear. If person has narcissism values of always listen to what feels good then they miss their purpose, because the frittered it away on what they wanted and lost out on what they needed. 

You are deceiving people with these notions, personal idiosyncratic values and nothing more

If you genuinely consider narcissism a core value then you have a lot more self-improvement work ahead of you.

2 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I don't consider core value. You consider it core value because you assume core value is about whatever feels good to you. That's narcissism. Purpose and truth is something you do not always want to hear. If you wanted to hear it you would be enlightened and living your purpose. I am lengthy way along the path because I can spot your lies and deceit and inaccurate convention of these principle. 

When I said 'you' I meant just some random person as an example, not you in particular. And narcissism isn't synonymous with 'whatever feels good to you'.

8 minutes ago, Socrates said:

@Neill Im sorry buddy you are lost in.your ego

"oh if I had a pound for every time I heard this"

Screenshot 2016-04-11 at 10.20.16.png

3 minutes ago, Socrates said:

If you cannot understand context then maybe I'm right.  Which I am.  The truth cannot be threatened becuase  it truth :)

The "truth" that living life in accordance with your values, no matter what they are, is narcissism? Sure buddy. The "truth" cannot be stopped. Keep it up.

Edited by Neill

1 minute ago, Socrates said:

Neil.  What I'm suggesting is that there are other elements of reality to consider.  Sometimes we have to do things we dont like.  Listen to truth we dont want to hear.  Growing up in real life, like other guy on too much meditation post, he need to balance out life with meditation and not get too focused on self development, because too much "i" is narcissitic.  Using this term in a spiritual or healthy way here, not in disordered way.  This is what I mean buddy.  And what do you mean, keep it up?

But what are these "other elements of reality"? You're disagreeing yet at the same time not offering any further help or reason as to why this is the case. Remember, this thread is for @Saarah, and you should be focused on providing useful advice, not bickering with me.

1 minute ago, Socrates said:

Judging from your behaviour on recent posts I think maybe you more interested in damming thing you dont agree with instead of looking inside to see why youre being reactive.  Just my guess

Are you being serious right now? You are the only member of this forum with negative reputation. Why do you think that is? None of these issues ever arise until you enter the discussion. Do you honestly not see this? Everyone here was doing nothing but contributing ideas to help someone's situation, and now it's turned into another back and forth that you initiated because you disagreed someone else's views, and proceed to get hung up on "proving the truth" or whatever. I am perfectly content with dropping this discussion now because it is useless and provides no further benefit to anybody. Are you? Or do you still have some neurotic need to continue and prove yourself "right" about whatever it is you're trying to prove, which you still have yet to actually say much of anything about. Again, this is textbook troll behavior. And if you're not trying to troll you need to seriously take a step back and objectively examine the situation.